PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking help

rachael
04-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi,

Can anyone help me with a fridge freezer problem. I'm deperately trying to keep it alive until we have a new kitchen fitted in a few months. It is a Samsung SR-L3916BSS and is 5 years old.

A few weeks ago, the fridge started getting so cold that it was freezing the food inside it even though on the lowest setting. Last week we turned it off for a few hours to let it warm up and when we turned it back on, the light works inside, the fan starts, the compressor starts, but then after about 15 seconds, all the noises stop. The temperature indicator then starts flashing on number 5 (highest setting).

The first engineer said "We've checked everything and it's definitely a new PCB that you need". So he took his money, we bought a PCB and had it replaced. The unit then worked for a bit longer. However, after we turned it off to clean inside the unit we were back to square 1 with the same problems. Now we are being told (by another engineer) "definitely the compressor" but don't know whether this is really correct or whether it's the stock response.

Any helpful thoughts or should I just throw in the towel?

Rachael

Karl Hofmann
04-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi Rachael,

To be honest I would just throw in the towel and buy the fridge that you'll be using in the new kitchen. By the time you have a new compressor fitted you wont be too far from the price of a new fridge though some of the domestic fridge guys may be able to give you better advise

bernard
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi

I think you,ll find more domestic engineers on the following site http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

Regards Bernard:)

Frostycold
04-08-2007, 08:41 PM
The original problem of your food freezing shows that the thermostat is short circuit ie it's not switching off the compressor when the food/contents are down to temperature. This would also tend to prove that the compressor is ok as if there was a problem with the compressor the fridge would'nt get cold enough let alone freeze the contents. Check the Thermostat & make sure that the heat exchanger/condenser coil is clean & free from grease & dust.

Regards Frostycold

chillin out
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Is the PCB located in the top trim?

Is there a 'fast freeze' or 'super' button on it?

Chillin:):)

khosro nazem
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
i advice you to get the new fridge

tonyelian
16-12-2007, 01:39 PM
hi maybe its too late i think your problem came from the door switch if your fridge has a digital controller ithink theirs 2 push button

flyboy3b
19-12-2007, 05:49 PM
is this a standard refrigerator (freezer on top, fridge below)?

it sounds like it may be low on refrigerant,, but heres the thing,,, it can take almost 24 hours to defrost that thing. there are all these little passageways for the cold air to circulate down to the fridge,,, and if they ice up solid,, itll take a while to defrost them.

i would suggest turning it off,, opening the door,, and putting a fan on it for a long time (till it stops dripping).

chillin out
19-12-2007, 06:39 PM
rachael
Last Activity: 04-08-2007 03:04 PM

I wouldn't bother with her any more.

paul_h
19-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Fair enough.
But for what it's worth for anyone else, if this is an upside down fridge/freezer with digital controls at the top, it's usually the damper motor/flap/position sensor that causes problems in this fridge.
It ices up or loses tracking position and often gives an "rd" fault, but I've seen it cause a flashing display too.

flyboy3b
21-12-2007, 05:08 PM
rachael
Last Activity: 04-08-2007 03:04 PM

I wouldn't bother with her any more.

lol,, i didnt see that. good call

George3519
25-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Paul H is right the damper motors are a nightmare on this model. When you switch it off it resets therefore problem not showing for a while. Buy new damper moter