PDA

View Full Version : DIY Install ~ R290 (Propane)

Makeit go Right
02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
A customer has an existing Delongo DIY split, that he installed a year ago, and now wants to reposition it. Not something we are very interested in, but as he is our new customer already, I had a closer look.

The thing is, it operates with R290 fridge gas, aka CARE-40, which is a nice way to say Propane gas. Yes, it is a very friendly substance and all of that, but it is still propane gas, which {in the UK} surely means a CORGI engineer. How can that be DIY kit? Amazing how that can be bought in the UK with these restrictive laws on gas installation.

And more to the point, as a company, we cannot re-install it unless we get our hands on a CORGI-fridge engineer. Simple job, but not.

Am I looking at this correctly - ie CORGI engineer to re-install a propane 'DIY' fridge split?

The MG Pony
02-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Why do the words R-290 & DYI seem like another way to say BOOM?

The Viking
02-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Ahem...
I have been told that as it's contained inside a sealed system and there is no intention of igniting it, CORGI does not come in to it (a lot of Ultra Low Temp freezers runs on it)

Just remember that cleanliness is critical, a deep standing vacuum is needed.

If you still want a CORGI guy doing it, then as it happens, I'm registered. Just send me a PM.

p_p
03-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Hi

Just to let you know that you do not have to be corgi registered to use the care range of refrigerants.
Calor provide a safe handling course which is certified, similar to c&g 2078. I attended this course 2years ago, and i am led to believe you have to be registered to purchase such refrigerants.

Regards

PP

The MG Pony
03-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Well you all ways have BBQ brand R-290!

Apperantly 9 out of 10 newbs agree! It's just as good *Groanes*

yorkie
22-09-2007, 02:21 AM
I have just taken the hydrocarbon training course from BOC. Very good course and it enables me to purchase hydrocarbon refrigerants.
The course has given me a very clear understanding of the refrigerant.
The practicallities and also the most important safety factor.

Having in the past worked with Corgi (not qualified only did the training)

Use of refrigerant grade propane R290 is very different to the very poor quality propane used in bbqs (usually only 50% propane and consists of mercaptan that gives the smell)
Purity is the essence as the mercaptan can damage the compressors ( i believe)

taz24
22-09-2007, 10:42 AM
A customer has an existing Delongo DIY split, that he installed a year ago, and now wants to reposition it. Not something we are very interested in, but as he is our new customer already, I had a closer look.

Am I looking at this correctly - ie CORGI engineer to re-install a propane 'DIY' fridge split?

As the previous posters state.

When the stuff is in the system it is classed as a refrigerant and the only qualification to work with it is the 2078 or citb gas handle quals.

Its good stuff to work with and the risk is so small it is almost negligible.
You are at more risk boiling a kettle in a caravan.

Cheers taz.

Argus
22-09-2007, 11:05 AM

It may be worthwhile checking that your insurance liability cover extends to this type of work that you are evidently not familiar with.

Andy W
23-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I contacted BOC about a course, they never even bothered getting back to me.

taz24
23-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I contacted BOC about a course, they never even bothered getting back to me.

I had to smile when I heard that BOC were doing the hydrocarbon course. We used to assess there staff for 2078 before they set the course up and the same as you Andy, Iv'e tried to get some info on the course without luck.

taz.