PDA

View Full Version : Training: NVQ3 vs HNC - next step

Contactor
02-08-2007, 11:07 PM
:confused:Hi all

Cant decide whether to take the NVQ3 or HNC next.

Would like as much practical training as possible but the NVQ3 course that I have looked at seems to be all theory based, in which case I would be better to do the HNC which is all theory.

I have heard rumours about an 'industrial' NVQ3 which is said to be more hands on....

Any suggestions or ideas from anyone will be welcome.

I'm self employed, mostly A/C, some fridge.

Thanks to all :)

frank
03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
You can't take the HNC without first completing the NVQ3 - it is one of the requirements for enrolment

http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/Building-Services-Engineering-HNC-courses/page_pls_user_course_details/16180339//24443339/6962/145499413/1//crs/course-details.htm

Contactor
04-08-2007, 12:18 AM
not the case at my college old boy

taz24
04-08-2007, 12:43 AM
:confused:Hi all

Cant decide whether to take the NVQ3 or HNC next.

Any suggestions or ideas from anyone will be welcome.

I'm self employed, mostly A/C, some fridge.

Thanks to all :)

Your choice is practical or theoretical.

Level three is required by some manufactureres who require engineers to sign off commision sheets.
HNC teaches you to be able to design systems and such.

So you need to think about what you want to next.
If you want to move onto design and manegment then you will want to go down the HNC road.
If you want to continue on the tools then you will need level III.

Cheers taz.

marc5180
18-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Did you make up your mind Contactor? I'm in the same boat now but i think i'm going for the NVQ3 over the HNC. Let me know if you have chose one and what it's like.

Pooh
19-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Contactor
as previously stated NVQ is a competence and knowledge based assessment procedure to demonstrate you can do something and also know why you are doing it where as the HNC/D is an accademic qualification which in real terms proves you know not a lot about real life refrigeration and air conditioning but can look up facts, copy and paste information and write pages of total C--P.
I am at present doing my HNC along with Taz and we both think you do not need to know about refrigeration to get through it, to be honest some of the HNC students I have met would not know what a fridge was if it hit them in the head.

Frank, I know at Grimsby you do not need the NVQ3 to do the HNC/D or even the Foundation Degree.

Ian

marc5180
19-06-2008, 06:37 AM
NVQ3 it is for me then:D

SkyWalker
11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
im going to do my nvq 3 start next year!

marc how are you finding level 3 compared to level 2?

Contactor
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Am now on the level 3 and would recommend the course as a stepping stone to the HNC/D particularly if your maths is a bit rusty. Am planning on the HNC next year.

marc5180
15-11-2008, 07:55 PM
im going to do my nvq 3 start next year!

marc how are you finding level 3 compared to level 2?
I'm finding it ok, it is a lot more about science and calculations so far but its ok, im enjoying it:D

wilks
17-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Contactor
as previously stated NVQ is a competence and knowledge based assessment procedure to demonstrate you can do something and also know why you are doing it where as the HNC/D is an accademic qualification which in real terms proves you know not a lot about real life refrigeration and air conditioning but can look up facts, copy and paste information and write pages of total C--P.
I am at present doing my HNC along with Taz and we both think you do not need to know about refrigeration to get through it, to be honest some of the HNC students I have met would not know what a fridge was if it hit them in the head.

Frank, I know at Grimsby you do not need the NVQ3 to do the HNC/D or even the Foundation Degree.

Ian

i did my HNC electrical , and as you say again , its not alot about actual electrical engineering , it was all about sciences and writing up soft calculations that im never going to use again!

wilks
17-11-2008, 10:58 PM
pooh , if you dont mind me asking , how come youve left it till now to do your HNC? I was going on to do my HND and just plain couldnt be arsed , ive had enough of college , feel like ive never been out of school and im 29!