PDA

View Full Version : Chiller flow rates is this possible????????

mig
02-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Can you help me i am working in a building that currently rented three floor to a company. They say that in the contract they were given facts that we would supply them of 200watts/meter chilled water. My question is, is this correct, mus'nt it be in cubic meter or how do you work out what the flow rate must be for them to have that figures

Thanks
midge

mohamed khamis
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
No i think it is not correct. i think the capacity of 5.8 kW/(m3/hr) or 21.6 kW/(liter/s).

if we suppose the temperature difference of inlet and outlet of chilled water is 5 (tin = 12C and tout = 7C)

Cooling capacity = 1000*flow rate*4.187*5

capacity capacity / flow rate = 20935 kW/(m3/s) = 5.8 kW/(m3/hr) = 21.6 kW/(liter/s)

cheers

mig
02-08-2007, 10:12 AM
thanks mohamed
but were do you get all the variables and what is the maximium flow rate you can get through a 20 mm pipe and what would the maximium cooling capasity be. sorry for asking all the questions but i am just an maintenance guy and they whant to know from me if this is possible for them to get 200w/meter chilled water????????????
thanks
mig

mohamed khamis
02-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Never mind Mig and u'r welcome at anytime

Regarding to the variables the chiller is normally design with variables as follows

the temperature difference between the water inlet and outlet is common in the range of 5 to 7 as ASHRAE.

the maxium flow rate inside 20 mm pipe depends on the allowable pressure drop which is 70 kPa or below and water velcoity in the range 1.6 m/s to 3.6 m/s and as i remember it is perfered 2.5 m/s. However, if u want the actuall value of it the line of the pipeline should be known to the pressure drop (not exceeded 70 kPa) and then the actual velocity.

Anyhow roughly estimation

m = 1000 *3.14/4*di^2*2.5

Give me the size of each floor (L*W*H) to calculate to u the roughly cooling load and i give around figure for the design

Cheers:)