PDA

View Full Version : toshiba accumilator problems

sid
31-07-2007, 05:37 PM
good afternoon
i'm sorry for the spelling, but i'm working at an old toshiba rav 200 uh unit which has a few leaks on the accumilator due to it being on the coast. i've just been to hrp and they are having problems getting me a new one.
i'm just wondering would it be ok for me to cut it out of the system and re pipe without having any accumilator.
i look forward to hearing from you soon:)
sid

monkey spanners
31-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi Sid

I'd say no. Could you measure it and get a similar sized one from a component manufacturer such as Henry, Heatcraft, or Esk Schultze (Nrs, Rpw,Dean&Wood) If the original is obselete.

Jon

FRIDGE
31-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I'd say no, if its a heat pump, on off cycle defrost liquid will slug the compressor

DEVIL
31-07-2007, 08:23 PM
u can change with one of same size, i'm shore u cand find one
and where is the leak , i had one on a sky air - DAIKIN
and it whas on the welcing's, and there whare a lot, litle, but over 10 leaks , i tuck it out, whent to a company where they wheld inox piping's and they welded for 20 dolars or somth like that a few yars ago, and they weld like profesionals, and cleaned it, pressure test it, and fited back tu the sistem , it whas just like new

sid
31-07-2007, 10:18 PM
thanks for your help, i will see if i can get may hands on a different make...

Thermatech
01-08-2007, 08:08 PM
If you look at any manufacurers split systems technical specification you will normally find that the cooling only model will not have a suction accumulator unless precharged for long pipe run.
But the same heat pump model will have suction accumulator. This is needed to prevent liquid back to compressor.

Loops
03-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi Sid,

You'll have trouble finding an accumulater for the RAV-200UH because a) that model doesn't exist and b) 'UH' in Tosh talk is a cassette and accumulators are fitted to outdoor units.

So I'd guess you either have an RAV-200KH hi-wall system or an RAV-260UH 4-way cassette system.

Which in turn means you either have an RAV-200AH or an RAV-260AH(8) outdoor unit.

Use part number 43148116 for the RAv-200AH or 43148114 for the RAV-260AH(8).

Any Toshiba distributor should be able to check availability and prices.

Don't run the system without an accumulator the risk is 'liquid carry over' ie compressor trying to pump liquid refrigerant with dire consequenses.

Hope this helps

Loops

aeb200
04-08-2007, 12:57 AM
had this problem myself. i just used my angle grinder to take off the rust then i silver soldered over area (the rust had eaten through steel casing causing a pin hole)

i know its not ideal but it held a 400psi strength test and 270 psi 24hr test and it was ok, it also only meant that unbit was down for 2 days (instead of weeks trying to source parts)