PDA

View Full Version : suction line icing up

s.moreno
31-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I have a walk in freezer That was turn off around 5 months ago. Two weeks ago I got the unit started and everything was fine until this week. My suction line started icing up right at the suction valve. My temp inside the freezer is not affected by this. Their was nothing wrong with this unit when it got turned off. any suggestions whether their something wrong with this unit or if this will damage the compressor

The Viking
31-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Eventually, when the ice reach the compressor, it will damage the compressor.

Most likely it's something wrong with the defrost cycle.

But you really need to get a technician out to have a look.

Dr._Fleck
31-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Suction lines DO ice up on freezers, especially on short pipe runs.

Keep watching it, if it starts icing the compressor up you may have a problem.

In the meantime check the back of the blower is not starting to block up with ice/frost

Lowrider
31-07-2007, 08:46 PM
There doesn't have to be a problem! If the suction is say -10 dgr C and the roomtemp 20 it will ice up because the suctionline is much colder than the air and water will condense and freeze on it!!

Get a tech to measure the system to be sure it's working fine!

TXiceman
31-07-2007, 09:09 PM
If you are running a freezer, the line wil ice up. If it is on a cooler you need to check the air flow and is the coil clean. If it is clean, check your suction pressure and see if you are running too cold...mat be low on refrigerant.

In any case, sounds like you need to call a tech.

Ken

gwapa
01-08-2007, 03:25 AM
When you have a freezer you will have ice in the sucction line.That is normal.

You should check the overheating.

If you do not have an overheating you probably have a problem with the TEV and some liquid is being carryover to the compresor. It could damage the compresor valves and the compressor.

let us suppose the freezer is at - 28°C, The evapotion temperatura should be -35°C but the temperature in the commpresor suction could be -20°C . This is a superheted stage but the temperature is -20°C so you will have ice outside.
In other hand if the tempeature is -30°C you would have no enought superheting but you still had ice out side and problems with the compressor valves

Regards

s.moreno
03-08-2007, 04:02 AM
found expansion valve wide open and was getting flood back. adjusted and problem solved

lldelfin67
03-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi,
Check the superheat of the suction if it below 20F you have to adjust the TXV so no liquid refrigerant will be compress by the compressor. also check the discharge pressure if air/moisture is in the system because all uncompressable gas freeze up the suction pipe line. Check also if you are overcharge of refrigerant.