PDA

View Full Version : Using Argon to pressure test?

mooka
30-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Nitrogen pressure testing a system seems to be the gas of choice, but why not Argon? Its dry, clean. Anyone use Argon to pressure test?
Thanks

Brian_UK
30-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I think that you need to check on the molecule size before use.

Argon is a bit bigger I think, also Argon absorbs moisture a lot more than nitrogen so could be a hazard there.

US Iceman
30-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Argon is probably more epensive too.

And, if I remember correctly there are various grades of nitrogen available. I also seem to remember the nitrogen is produced by two different processes. One has more water in it than the other. This may have changed in recent years, but it was this way about 20 years ago when I was doing a lot of service work.

SteveDixey
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Nitrogen pressure testing a system seems to be the gas of choice, but why not Argon? Its dry, clean. Anyone use Argon to pressure test?
Thanks

I've heard of it being used when nitrogen ran out on a weekend job with no suppliers open.

Can't see any justification in using it because it is more expensive.

Steve

The MG Pony
02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
<snip> Argon absorbs moisture a lot more than nitrogen <snip>

Now, wouldn't this be a good thing in our field? Dry inside the system tends to be a good thing or am I mistaken of some thing?

Brian_UK
02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Now, wouldn't this be a good thing in our field? Dry inside the system tends to be a good thing or am I mistaken of some thing?I must admit MG that it did cross my mind:cool:

taz24
02-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks

I don't think it would be practical or cost effective.
I know argon is used while diving to insulate the diver from the cold as it is much denser than air.
I think it has too large a molecule to be any good as a leak testing gas.

Cheers taz.