PDA

View Full Version : Hermetic compressor terminal blown off

racknovice
26-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I was checking a med/temperature single phase hermetic compressor which stopped running just after an electrical power oscillation (I cannot tell if it was a voltage surge or drop). I found that the terminar cover had a lot of oil on it, and that one of the terminals was loose, allowing the escape of refrigerant and oil. Continuity tests showed no coil burnout. What should be the cause of this damage: the power oscillation, a loose terminal, or both.

The Viking
26-07-2007, 10:44 PM
This reminds me of an age old question:

-Which came first, the hen or the egg?

The terminal seal might have gotten old and hardened for a number of different reasons, high current being one of them. IF the terminal is loose, it can cause all sorts of electrical problems.
BUT
If you have a voltage drop, the terminal might get hot and thereby damage the seal/seat.

So, which was it?
50% chance to be wrong whatever you say but that's just my opinion.

taz24
27-07-2007, 04:32 PM
This reminds me of an age old question:

-Which came first, the hen or the egg?

50% chance to be wrong whatever you say but that's just my opinion.

I agree with the Norsman.
Garenteed it will be one or the other:D

taz.

Eeram
18-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Normally a loose spade connector causes leaks on terminals, more on air conditioning and medium temperature application, than low temperature applications, because of the pressure on the other side.

When the connector is loose on the outside of the compressor, the heat is going through to the inside, creating stress on the fusite glass separation.

This will result in leaks through the terminal housing, sometimes without affecting the motor windings.

In some cases the problem starts from the inside, creating havoc on the outside!

Old Refrigeration Technicians never die. They just leak out!

Shibhrac
17-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Do you agree with me if i said it usually happen only in a system which oil contaminated . And turned into acidic oil, So the acid weakened the seal and allowing the gas to skip.