PDA

View Full Version : Small compressor failure

FloridaAR
21-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Last week I found a failed condensing fan and compressor(1/4 HP) on a small reach-in cooler(R134). I was told a prior tech removed a "carpet" of lint from the condensor a few days earlier. The factory tells me that the compressor, condensing fan motor, and the cap tube need to replaced. He added that the condensor and evap. need to be blown out with nitrogen to remove the overheated POE oil and no guarentee on future cap. tube restrictions. The cooler is only 2 years old:(. Any ideas to repair?

Brian_UK
21-07-2007, 11:19 PM
The factory seem to have the right idea about the repairs required.

The MG Pony
22-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Seconded, they seem to have given you all the right info, wish the people I see could do that!

Though I'd blow through methanol or another flushing agent through to really clean out the condenser good!

Bones74
03-11-2007, 08:55 PM
If you are going to pull the comp anyway, check the oil charge in the system. See if it match's the Compressor name plate. When a Condenser is that dirty, the crankcase is over pressurized and pushes the oil out of the comp. It sits in the evap. After installing a new comp you now have to much oil and the compressor will surely fail or restrict the new cap tube.:eek:

Brian_UK
03-11-2007, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't worry Bones, the poster hasn't come back from July with any comments so his interest and politeness seem short lived.

Bones74
04-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Strange. There are a lot of posts like this. A question and never a follow up. Or in most cases, Details!

taz24
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Strange. There are a lot of posts like this. A question and never a follow up. Or in most cases, Details!

It's a sore point with quite a few of the regular posters on the site.
It's somthing you have to get used to.
You can tell somtimes when on the first post they do, they launch into it, wanting a solution to a complex problem with little or no details and no introduction.

taz.