PDA

View Full Version : Are Copeland screws any good?

garyb
19-07-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm looking at using copeland screws for a CO2 liquifier doing 70kW -32/40 R404a in place of the Bitzer screws we usually use. Bitzer deliveries are too long at present and I need to investigate other options to meet my deadlines. I have no experience with the copeland screws and are looking for opinions as to their durability or significant issues.

BESC5240
20-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi,
I don't know what the situation is right now but when Copeland launched their Screw compressors (1997 ?) these were Bitzer compressor painted black (comming right out of the Bitzer factory).
Best regards

Toolman
22-07-2007, 01:07 AM
CO2 liquifier doing 70kW -32/40 R404a in place of the Bitzer screws

Stick with Bitzer stuff , I dont know anything about Co2 systems but Bitzer certainly do and it will be worth waiting for Bitzer screws , if there were Bitzer screws on there and they failed it will be the system design not the compressor .

john doersom
04-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi ........

I agree with "TOOLMAN".

I just came thru the COPELAND,(tm) training school classes on their SCREW compressors.

The Copeland instructor was awfully hesitant about encourageing me to install their product (the screw compressor) on some future storage jobs.

Like Toolman said, other manufacturer painted black.
Cost more than the COPELAND painted "company colors."

Of course, I was only talk'n 'bout 50 ton systems. I didn't tell him HOW MANY!

Seems as though the US NAVY don't like the Copeland Screws either. Don't know why......classified info.

Hope this helps out, somehow. John

john doersom
04-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Continued:

Many years ago, I was involved with the design and application of using DUNHAM-BUSH screw compressors for the capturing and condensing and discharging of the liquid back into fuel storage tanks (gasoline). This technology helped capture the escaping fuel vapors into the atmosphere, and, thusly saving many $$$$$ and waste involved with fossil fuels.

When I reported my experience to the Copeland instructor at the meeting, he had no knowledge that such a practice existed.

I used to know the elder DUNHAM-BUSH (tm) executives when I was a corporate pilot , CAPTAIN, now retired do to age. Howsoevers, I left professional aviation 40 yrs. ago, but, still keep my credentials current. NAS PENSACOLA.

So, I was told about 3 yrs. ago that the DUNHAM-BUSH (tm) fathers made a huge mistake by gettting out of the "refrigeration business". This came from the current vice president right before the factory was shut down in VIRGINIA.

Again......stick with the best available.

john doersom
04-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Stick with Bitzer stuff , I dont know anything about Co2 systems but Bitzer certainly do and it will be worth waiting for Bitzer screws , if there were Bitzer screws on there and they failed it will be the system design not the compressor .

Not necessarily so: #1. Do you have the "juice"?
deffinition: Juce means ELECTRIC Company.

Where I sweat out loss,,,,,,,,,so many personal house s
being built the UTILITY COMPANIES just let the PCB transformers "BLOW" on the pole.

#2 Lowest bidder for electric motor

STUFF LIKE DAT?

Next: IF EVER ANY SCREW TURNS WRONG.......Disaster.
REF: EMERSON CORP. (Copeland product)

I have a few shares of the EMERSON STOCK for my "grandbaby girl".

Eeram
04-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Copeland screw compressors are good, so are Bitzer, Refcomp, Dunham Bush and others.

A compressor is as good as the the design and the technician working on it!

Old Refrigeration Technicians never die! They just leak out!

john doersom
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Copeland screw compressors are good, so are Bitzer, Refcomp, Dunham Bush and others.

A compressor is as good as the the design and the technician working on it!

Old Refrigeration Technicians never die! They just leak out!

I will git back to you later. Someth'N 'bout leaking high acid urine on concrete. Eventually the floor may break and the whole stack of apple bins(loaded) might cave in on my BOSS MAN's son.

I told them almost a generation ago about the groundhog holes under the floor of the barn. My orders were: "let one of the holes there so they can come in out of the weather in the winter time". Honest, courtiest and reliable......Elder reefer families.

Have a safe week-end. Later Thanx. John

dwrefrigeration
17-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Gary
Could you drop me your email address to david@dwref.co.uk

750 Valve
17-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Continued:

Many years ago, I was involved with the design and application of using DUNHAM-BUSH screw compressors for the capturing and condensing and discharging of the liquid back into fuel storage tanks (gasoline). This technology helped capture the escaping fuel vapors into the atmosphere, and, thusly saving many $$$$$ and waste involved with fossil fuels.

When I reported my experience to the Copeland instructor at the meeting, he had no knowledge that such a practice existed.

I used to know the elder DUNHAM-BUSH (tm) executives when I was a corporate pilot , CAPTAIN, now retired do to age. Howsoevers, I left professional aviation 40 yrs. ago, but, still keep my credentials current. NAS PENSACOLA.

So, I was told about 3 yrs. ago that the DUNHAM-BUSH (tm) fathers made a huge mistake by gettting out of the "refrigeration business". This came from the current vice president right before the factory was shut down in VIRGINIA.

Again......stick with the best available.

Not necessarily so: #1. Do you have the "juice"?
deffinition: Juce means ELECTRIC Company.

Where I sweat out loss,,,,,,,,,so many personal house s
being built the UTILITY COMPANIES just let the PCB transformers "BLOW" on the pole.

#2 Lowest bidder for electric motor

STUFF LIKE DAT?

Next: IF EVER ANY SCREW TURNS WRONG.......Disaster.
REF: EMERSON CORP. (Copeland product)

I have a few shares of the EMERSON STOCK for my "grandbaby girl".

I will git back to you later. Someth'N 'bout leaking high acid urine on concrete. Eventually the floor may break and the whole stack of apple bins(loaded) might cave in on my BOSS MAN's son.

I told them almost a generation ago about the groundhog holes under the floor of the barn. My orders were: "let one of the holes there so they can come in out of the weather in the winter time". Honest, courtiest and reliable......Elder reefer families.

Have a safe week-end. Later Thanx. John

Is it just me or does this not make much sense at all after the first quote? Juice, urine and groundhogs... you been drinking big fella? :D

Amjad Hussain
19-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi, Can some one help me with problems with air cooled condensers? The high ambient conditions during summer months and extra product load is causing high discharge pressures and temperature in the liquid line.
We have decided to add a new condenser. The contractor has designed the new condenser to be connected to the liquid line as it comes out of the previous condenser to work as sub cooler or sub condenser. Do you think it will help reduce the high pressure and temperature? what will be the effect during less hotter months? or winter?

Slatts
20-06-2009, 07:57 AM
What's your fresh water supply like? consider setting up sprays to spray a fine mist onto the condensers.
As for the extra condensers and winter, I'm sure your engineers will set them up to cycle the fans to maintain the head pressure.

mbadanai
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Here's a bit of history and contacts if you need them.

RefComp and Thermokey form together the RTH group which is an independent group which has one owner who is the original founder Mr. Candio.
RefComp makes the very same screw and piston compressors at their factories both near Vicenza in Italy and in Shanghai in China while Thermokey makes many types of heat exchangers for Air Con, Refrigeration , Process Control, Close Control , Power and Energy and Solar Energy markets and manufactures in Italy , China and Brazil.

About 30 years ago Mr. Candio used to own Artec (heat exchangers) which he after sold to Alfa Laval. After RefComp was then founded and was a pioneering company with screw compressor technology specifically designed for HVAC and Refrigeration applications. During this past century Bitzer used to sell the large RefComp screw compressors through their sales network because back then they did not manufacture yet this kind of new screw compressor.
After Thermokey was then founded. Nowdays Thermokey is pioneering in large aluminium microhannel heat exchangers specifically designed for HVAC and Refrigeration applications

you can contact them at :

sales@refcomp.it
sales@thermokey.it

oldesky
08-06-2010, 06:47 AM
You could use a Frascold twin screw compressor. They are available in New Zealand. -32/40C on R404a wont be a problem.