PDA

View Full Version : PED Directive

Abe
11-10-2002, 09:13 PM
I believe the East Midlands Refrigeration Association recently held a seminar at Basford Hall College on the implications of the Pressure Equipment Directive which came into force on the 30th May, 02.

Have I been asleep or what ??? Sadly I recieved the missive too late ( my fault, it was sent to my previous address) for me to attend the seminar.

But I am concerned how the PED Directive will affect me, and others in the fridge game in the UK and EC.

Until I glean more info, I was wondering if fellow members are wiser then I am about this.................

Andy
12-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Hi, Aiyub:)
the only info I have seen on the net that was clear was on the Danfoss site.http://danfoss.co.uk
The company I work for is very much into PED and has carried out seminars all over the UK for our customers and other interested parties.
What I gleaned from this that there is various groupings equipment can fall into. Basically if you are installing a system with pipe sizes about 1" N.B you are required to PED it, that means gathering together material certs, for all the equipment(some exceptions with certain types of compressors)to ensure complience, along with a system design from a chartered engineer. All these items are then sent to a third party such as loyds who Ped the system for you.
Hope this helps, Regards. Andy.

frank
12-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Hi Aiyub

I attended the seminar at Basford Hall on Thursday last where Frosty, one of our forum members was a guest speaker.

The seminar was very informative but failed to identify at which point the installer could determine his installation (or job) as being covered by SEP (sound engineering practice) or by one of the four Catagories (1 - 4).

The SEP requires a technical file to be prepared and kept for 10 years from date of installation whereas the four higher catagories need external verification by someone like Lloyds.

It really is still "up in the air" and as all the guest speakers agreed - there is a severe lack of regulators so the probability of being caught not complying is highly unlikely at present.

Then again, for those of us not complying - I guess that is the majority of smaller firms - it only takes one small accident or occurance to bring out the HSE and then you have to prove compliance. You are allowed 48 hours to produce the technical file after it has been requested by an inspector.

Frank