PDA

View Full Version : Copeland Discus overhauling questions

racknovice
18-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Dear fellows:

In my area, most refrigeration department managers usually rewind and overhaul burn out compressors. Buying remanufactured units is usually the last option.
I am a trade apprentice, and have been asigned to assist a senior technician with the mechanical overhauling of a Copeland Discus 3D compressor. He went out to take care of another service call and left me alone at the shop trying to figure out how to remove apart the rotor and crankshaft as well as the bushing bearings supporting the crankshaft. I really have no idea on how to do either jobs. Any advice welcome.

Thank you!!

ConDor
18-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Try downloading the Select6, then you are able to see how it is assembled

Samarjit Sen
18-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Select 6 is the Copeland Selection software. How do you get the details of the removal of the parts from there.

The same problem and the same model of the Copeland is also being faced by us.

GHAZ
18-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Hello guys drain oil , take winding housing cover off using a copper malet, if the rotor is stuck on the crank and cant be pulled off ,put a long 1/2 inch unc bolt in the end of the crank and strike it with malet as same time using long nose pliers to pull so you are shocking it off, (2) take off head leave 2 opposite bolts in loose and using a copper malet strike it so it becomes loose, other wise the suction vavle pins will break and you,ll have a big job, take the vavle plate off in the same manner,(3) stand the machine verticle on winding end and take off sump plate , un do the rod caps and push the rods back ,(4)take off non drive end bearing housing and pump, (5)pull out the crank,the rods and pistons (6) take off terminal plate and take out the stator either by a puller or heat method , be careful and good luck.

racknovice
19-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Thank you very much for your useful advice. I followed the instructions and was able to take apart the crankshaft with a little help from my supervisor. I was very careful to mark everything in order to speed up re-assembly.

I have noticed that the compressor rotor touched the stator coils, scrapping the insulation on them, and BOOM!! Now my supervisor has asked me to remove the bushing bearings. I am a little worried about scratching the surface that supports the bearings. I tried a bushing puller I found around the shop, but it seems to work only for blower motors. Any suggestions for this procedure?

The rotor surface has some rough spots. I guess they are the places where the shorting took place. Is it neccesary to take it to the electrical shop for rebuilding or a little filing and sanding would work?

Thank you.

kvlrao
21-05-2010, 08:39 AM
what is the bore size of 6DS1 compressor?

kvlrao
21-05-2010, 08:52 AM
what is the difference between 6RJ1and 6DS1 compressor pistons? standardsize rings suits 6RJ1 bore where as 6DS1 shows 4to 5mm gap,not able to get the correct size ring and piston for 6DS1 compressor.Pl help me in sorting out this problem