PDA

View Full Version : Reclaiming refrigerant from fridges/freezers in Canada

mooka
17-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi all, thanks for you input on my last post about CFM's and vaccum pumps. I am noticing a trend around my city, older freezers/fridges that need to be thrown out, and some are but on the sides of roads or down bush roads. Full of refrigerant. I know this is against the law, if i offered a service where I could evac the system for the customer, where would I get the necessary paperwork to state that all refrigent has been removed from the unit and is safe for the landfill? The next question, what do I do with all the r-22, anyone have prices on sending to a recycling place?
Thanks
Tim

The Viking
17-07-2007, 10:28 PM
The main problem with your "solution" is that only part of the harmful old refrigerant is inside the pipework.

Old domestic refrigerators/freezers carries most of the refrigerant they contain inside the insulation, this makes them hard to recycle.

Here in Europe they use crushers which are hermetically sealed to crush this type of units, then they reclaim from the environment inside the crusher.
But the rumours I heard is that even with these high tech units they only get about 1/2 out, to a very high energy cost.

And, will they accept oil to the landfills over there? otherwise you have another problem there.

The best ting you can do is probably to speak to the people in charge of the land fill and ask them what they require to let you dump said equipment on their site...

Brian_UK
17-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Plus, your vacuum pump will not do the job you are thinking about.

mooka
21-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Plus, your vacuum pump will not do the job you are thinking about.

:)I have a promax recovery unit, I didnt think vacuum pumps could recover?