PDA

View Full Version : Dirt for insulation?

wkbarton
05-10-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm not a refrigeration expert and have a very old chest refrigerator to get out of my basement. Too heavy for a couple of guys to budge, I am trying to break it up to take out. This box had the compressor external on the top, which I removed. The box itself has a wood frame covered by sheet metal. I started to cut one of the sides to break it down and the walls are filled with something that looks like dirt. It is brown and loose like dirt and I am not sure what the material is or if it may be toxic. Anybody have an idea this stuff may be or if I need to be careful with it? Did they ever use cork as an insulator?

frank
06-10-2002, 03:47 PM
hi WK

Is the "dirt" wet or dry?

How old is the cabinet?

wkbarton
07-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi Frank,

I'm guessing the box is from the 1920's or 30's. This place was an Inn and Tavern from 1900-1940.

The dirt is dry, light and flakey, almost like cork. But it's not stuck together like cork.

WK

Gary
07-10-2002, 04:16 PM
Cork insulation was common back then. I'm not aware that ground up cork was used, but then that's a little before my time. ;)

wkbarton
07-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Thanks Gary,

I think it is probably cork too. It feels a little spongey like cork and it has probably just dried out into crumbs over the years.

Boy, between this and steam heating I am learning a lot from this house.

This is a great forum, thanks for the quick responses!
WK

Dan
08-10-2002, 01:37 AM
Spongy feeling? Possibly vermiculite? It has been around since the 20's. Maybe it was a loose-fill insulation from the start.

dan wong
13-10-2002, 07:26 AM
Mybe you can sell it to antique collector. Talk to one of those guys at the "road show". who knows it may worth a bundle$$$$. I get ten percent ok.