PDA

View Full Version : This can't be legal in Canada!

The MG Pony
12-07-2007, 06:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-5-TON-42-000BTU-Do-It-Yourself-Air-Conditioning_W0QQitemZ170130318408QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20711QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD9VQQcmdZViewItem

This is a very very bad thing! Who do I report it too?

Lowrider
12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Why not?

In Holland it's ok, just as long as there's no brazing, pressure testing, vacuming and filling involved!

monkey spanners
12-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Just noticed that Screwfix (Fixings wholesaler) in the uk is selling small splits now. Where will it all end?

The MG Pony
12-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I just noticed it said precharged lines, how ever it is illegal to sell to general public any thing that will break into the system, technicaly the lines are concidered being a part that would break into the system.

The laws are very convoluted in this sense.

Selling a raw Kit directly to the customer is allowed they just can not install it with out a technition there to watch over the work and to commition it, as far as I under stand the law here in BC, which this seller is in, it is the company who I would question the legality of providing such a kit.

Electrocoolman
13-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Just noticed that Screwfix (Fixings wholesaler) in the uk is selling small splits now. Where will it all end?

Yes I saw that too....did you also see the small print about "professional installation required"! Does that mean they don't have quick connects?

paul_h
13-07-2007, 02:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-5-TON-42-000BTU-Do-It-Yourself-Air-Conditioning_W0QQitemZ170130318408QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20711QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD9VQQcmdZViewItem

This is a very very bad thing! Who do I report it too?Ha Ha, I love it. Some how the wiring is just supposed to be connected, just pipe it up and turn it on. My bet is any official couldn't care less about the refrigeration part, but wil clamp down on it due to electrical wiring needed.
But having A/C installed by unexperieced people already happens pretty much over here, manufacturers warranty isn't handled by the installer, but contracted agents. Just pay the government $200 for a short course and you're a qualified installer.
So many plumbers and electricians are banging up splits with dodgey wiring and pipework. Then telling the customer to F*** off and call the warranty agents if it doesn't work.

Abby Normal
16-07-2007, 10:57 PM
hasn't been precharged line sets in a long time in Canada.

taz24
17-07-2007, 02:10 AM

This is a very very bad thing! Who do I report it too?

I'll tell you whats bad.
Read the spec sheet and you'll see that it comes with 40foot of pre charged suction line and 50foot of pre charged liquid line.
How do I get the refrigerant to travel the last 10 foot of suction if it's not conected.:)
taz.

The MG Pony
17-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Magic? Most of the general public I know are not qualified to turn a light switch on, and to offer them a far more sophisticated device when they lack the comprehension of how a light bulb works leads to one thing!

"What you mean the house wasn't supposed to explode when I turn it on? I thought that tiny line wouldn't matter if I left it plugged, all the gas must surely go through the big pipe! And look at the size of the wires on it, so it must have been meant to hook up to the fat wires going into the fuse box!"