PDA

View Full Version : Process chiller calc

Rowan
11-07-2007, 08:31 PM
HI I was asked by a work mate today how a friend of his could chill a manufacturing plant he runs (at the moment he runns water from the tap through the plant and to the drain!!). I have came up with an idear of a condensing unit cooling a tank and taking the water off the bottom and through the plant (obvious). My question is 'how do I calculate the size of condensing unit and evaporator I would require'?:confused::confused:. I guess it would be water in temp, water out temp & flow rate but what equasion? Any advise would be great:):)

TXiceman
12-07-2007, 04:30 AM
You need to know the water flow rate and the temperature in and the temp out.

Then Q=M*Cp*(T1-T2)

For water, Cp (specific heat = 1.0)
M=water mass flow.
T=Temperature.

Ken

mohamed khamis
12-07-2007, 10:48 AM
HI I was asked by a work mate today how a friend of his could chill a manufacturing plant he runs (at the moment he runns water from the tap through the plant and to the drain!!). I have came up with an idear of a condensing unit cooling a tank and taking the water off the bottom and through the plant (obvious). My question is 'how do I calculate the size of condensing unit and evaporator I would require'?:confused::confused:. I guess it would be water in temp, water out temp & flow rate but what equasion? Any advise would be great:):)

Hi Rowan

State the details of the inlet and outlet of water and its flow rate, the ambient conditions and tank size and insulated type and size and i will calculate to u what u need..

Cheers:)

Rowan
12-07-2007, 08:00 PM
You need to know the water flow rate and the temperature in and the temp out.

Then Q=M*Cp*(T1-T2)

For water, Cp (specific heat = 1.0)
M=water mass flow.
T=Temperature.

Ken

Thanks mate, just a few questions about the units for the calculation. Q should = KW. Do I measure the water flow rate in liters/min or liters/sec etc. Temp differance measured in 'k:confused::confused:

DEVITG
12-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks mate, just a few questions about the units for the calculation. Q should = KW. Do I measure the water flow rate in liters/min or liters/sec etc. Temp differance measured in 'k:confused::confused:

Per definition the SPECIFIC HEAT is the heat needed to rise or lower the temperature of a given mass ,
In metrics
1 [Kg] , 1 [Centigrade degree]. = 1 Calorie
Or in Imperial
1 Pound , 1 Farenheit degree = 1 BTU or Brithis therrmal unit.

As in this case we talk in metrics , the units are
Q = Calories
Cp = especific heat 1 Calorie , Kg degree
Mass = Kg = liter for water in practical

T2-T1 = degree diference or also Delta T , as Delta is the Greek letter used to mean diference between units.

1000 W = 860 Calories.

Normaly the equipmet are rated in W / Hour ,

One of the best way of having chilled water is by the use of a BRAZED PLATES HEAT EXCHANGER AS THE EVAPORATOR , but a any other mean could be used .

TXiceman
13-07-2007, 03:28 AM
I work mostly in US units and have to drag the books out to convert to metric. I provided the basic formula, but you need to apply the appropriate units or conversions to suit your method.

The short cut for the US units ;;;

BTUH = 500*GPM*(T1-T2)

Ken