PDA

View Full Version : My problems about work in OZ

B.Lau
11-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Hello everybody of this forum:
Now I am thinking about immigrating to Australia as an air-conditioning mechanic.
I have obtained the national certificate of refrigeration of china, which means I am a qualified mechanic in my home country. And I will start my TAFE course in Melbourne from July, 2008 for 2 years in Holmesglen institute.
I could get the Certificate III and the Full Refrigeration and Air Conditioning License at the end of the first year according to the policy.
So, here goes the problem:
According to the policy of TRA (Trades Recognition Australia), I have to complete 900 hours work experience within tow years to reach the criterion of TRA. If I fell to meet the 900 hours requirement, then I have to leave OZ. Obviously it will be a tough task for me at that moment.
I just wonder if there any one who working in Australia (especially in Melbourne) as a refrigeration man could give me some tips about my plan and maybe explain the difficulty of getting 900 hours work for an international student within 1 year after I get the trade certificate and the license.
Those answers really means lots to me, I truly appreciate your help.
Cheers

B.Lau
11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
please, sirs

The Viking
11-07-2007, 08:07 PM
No experience of OZ I'm afraid.
But doing the maths it doesn't look too hard.

900 Hrs / 10 Hrs work per day = 90 days work experience spread over 2 years.

Should be easy, even if you can't get a proper job to achieve this, my bet is that if you explain your circumstances to almost any fridge/air-con guy out there and offer to "help out" for free in return for signed experience slip, then you will get there.

Abe
11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Hello everybody of this forum:
Now I am thinking about immigrating to Australia as an air-conditioning mechanic.

You are thinking............
and worried about a job ?????

When you take a bite out of an apple, do you worry where the loos are?

Take one step at a time, get out there, and things will fall in place....

But wondering and worrying aint gonna help.

Good luck

B.Lau
12-07-2007, 01:48 AM
thanks for the replies, viking and abe.

To viking:
It seems not so simple as you discribed, because with the student visa, I can only work no more than 20 hours a week. So the 900 hours will take me 45 weeks. And I think 900 hours work will almost happen in my second year because I have to spend the first year to get the trade certificate III and I am not sure whether I could get a relevant work even with out the trade certificate. therefore, the time will be very limited for me when I am in OZ.
Also, thanks for your suggestion about the "free work" and certainly I will do that if I can't get the proper job at that time. what I am worry about is that the work experience without payment seems not so persuasive for the TRA assessment.
But you words really remind me something and I will send an email to TRA for getting a clear answer about the free work experience.
To Abe:
Sorry about the word "thinking" misleading you. Actually I have already get the offer from the tafe institute and I am now preparing for the IELTS test.
why I put a thread here is for some oringial information from the refrigeration men in OZ.
I am on the way now.
Thank for your encouragemnt and I really appreciate.

B.Lau
13-07-2007, 12:14 AM
any more suggestion?

Abe
13-07-2007, 09:19 AM
any more suggestion?

Yes my suggestion is:

Bite the bullet
Have courage
Have strength
Have vision

If you really want it
Go for it!!

Be prepared for ups and downs
But give it a shot

If the old pioneers who ventured out on their ships seeking the new world had wondered......they would still be thinking today.

At least youre lucky........
You got a Boeing!!

or is ut an Airbus ???

:D

B.Lau
13-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, Abe, thank U.
Maybe I am too conservative as all chinese do.
Life with dream is beautiful and one should go for it and realize it.

Cheers mate!

fridg
13-07-2007, 03:37 PM
If you have a ticket in China , Australia would definitely give you a go , of course you would not get the trade wage , but i would say if you did come here , you would be guaranteed employment as you have experience.

B.Lau
13-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks fridg and your words from OZ.

But how long will it take me to get the restricted electronical license( or D-permit in VIC) and CFC license as most job advertisements require these things.

Your reply will be very helpful.

cheers!

paul76
25-01-2008, 01:22 AM
B.Lau am i glad i have found you.

Im interested in the same course.

Unlike you i have no experience in this field. Im a electronics technician but my jobs skills are not good enough for the 60 points. I dont install anything just debug, service and calibrate.

I fancy doing this line of work.

Im 31, have a good job here with pension but my heart keeps telling me australia. Its now or never.

We have to keep in touch. PM your email address please.

The cost of the course is not cheap? £13,000.

Brian_UK
25-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Unfortunately our B Lau hasn't returned since his last post in July last year.

750 Valve
25-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Hopefully he's sweating it out in the summer heat here in Aus :D

Hopefully you will too soon enough paul76, good luck mate.

paul76
25-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks, I hope so mate.