PDA

View Full Version : R22 to R717

yoga
10-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Hello guys,
I have a problem, maybe some of you have an experience regarding this matter
We have a R22 Plate freezer complete with liquid separator made from copper
We want to install the plate freezer in ammoniak system, I already check the plate freezer, it made from aluminium
I know that i cannot use the separator, and what else that i have to replace ?
Thank you

Argus
10-07-2007, 09:26 AM
The short answer is, everything.

Samarjit Sen
16-07-2007, 06:20 PM
if you are changing from R 22 to R 717, then you have to change everything including the compressor. It is better to install a complete set of R 717 equipments than trying to replace any part.

US Iceman
16-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi Yoga,

I think you should plan on changing all of the refrigeration system. Converting systems from R-22 to ammonia will create a lot of problems, even if the materials (pipe, condenser, compressors, etc.) are compatible with ammonia.

I doubt this is the answer you were wanting, but it is the best way to proceed if you want to change to ammonia.

yoga
17-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Thank you for your reply
for your information :
The platefreezer is just the freezer without compressor and Condensor
Our customer already have a amoniak refrigeration system with two stage reciprocating grasso compressor, they bought a used R22 platefreezer and they plan to install it in the existing amoniak system

lldelfin67
17-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi,
Just replace the equipment with copper material on it. NH3 will corrode it fast. If your system is ammonia upgrade the system of the plate freezer.

brian_chapin
18-07-2007, 12:54 PM
In the facility I work in we have converted two tube ice machines and an evaporative condenser from R22 to R717 with little problems.

Get manufacturer's recommendations, engineering sign-off and hire a competent contractor.

Luckily for us the equipment itself needed little change. The piping had to be replaced as did the pressure regulators. Thankfully the solenoids were suitable and could be reused with a new set of flanges.

I think you will see more of this type of conversion in the future. I know, for example, that we have a 1.2mil square foot facility running R22. That facility is being considered for conversion to R717 which would be a very impressive project.

US Iceman
18-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Converting some individual pieces of equipment from R-22 to ammonia should not pose many risks. If the materials of construction are compatible you will probably be OK. I might suggest rebuilding the solenoid valves and any regulators because of gasket or o-ring swelling that might occur.

On the other hand converting an entire system is not the same thing and I have heard one real horror story about problems. Let's say it rivaled a similar case of getting CO2 in an ammonia system. Quite the mess.

garyb
19-07-2007, 10:48 PM
The materials for the plate freezer itself should be fine as most are designed for ammonia or R22 applications. Obviously any copper items have to go. The biggest issue, IMHO, is the potential for R22 contamination of the ammonia. I had a thermsiphon spiral freezer on ammonia a few years back that somehow got some R22 into into it and it ate throught the aluminum evaporator coil after about 5 years and had to be replaced at the cost of around 50,000E. Be absolutley sure that ALL traces of refrigerant and oil are removed from the plates before installing them.

yoga
20-07-2007, 09:55 AM
How to clean the oil and R22 from the plate freezer?
Is it need liquid chemical ? or just with compressed liquid soap and water?

Samarjit Sen
21-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Flush the Plate Freezers with Nitrogen a number of times.

Andy
21-07-2007, 11:17 AM
How to clean the oil and R22 from the plate freezer?
Is it need liquid chemical ? or just with compressed liquid soap and water?

Hi Yoga:)

you could flush the plates with warm water, but you would need a lot of heat and a vacumn pump to remove the water. Nitrogen is probably the easy way:)

What about the hoses on the plates, the rubber in them will probably fail when you change to ammonia, it is always a good idea to change the hoses as part of your overhaul before starting the plate up.

Kind Regards Andy :)