PDA

View Full Version : fridge/freezer prob

trish
09-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi I am a newbe here to, got the same prob as somone else here my fridge is not getting cold but the freezer is it is also a whirlpool bigger fridge than freezer! if they have to be re-gased can any one give me an idea how much it would cost. only i realy love the thing and dont realy want to get rid.

appreciate any feedback. cheers.:confused:

taz24
09-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi I am a newbe here to, got the same prob as somone else here my fridge is not getting cold but the freezer is it is also a whirlpool bigger fridge than freezer! if they have to be re-gased can any one give me an idea how much it would cost. only i realy love the thing and dont realy want to get rid.

appreciate any feedback. cheers.:confused:

Is it a frost free fridge freezer?
It may be iced up.
Empty it turn it of and unplug it from the wall socket.
Allow to warm up and defrost for at least 24 hours with the doors open.
The minimum would be from tea time to the following morning. Beware of excess water dripping from it if it is iced up.
Put towels around it to mop up any water.
When you are happy that it has defrosted plug it in and switch on.
If it was iced up, the thing will pull down to temp within a few hours.
If it does not pull down to temp you have other problems.
Fridges do not run out of gas, if it has lost some refrigerant then there is a problem that could be repaired but more often costs more than a new fridge.

Cheers taz.

paul_h
10-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Pretty common issue for a frost free for me.
If it's frost free, is it twin evaps, or does it just blow freezer air into the fridge?
In either case, you have to check air flow in the fridge. Open the door but hold the door switch down with you finger. After about 10 sec, you should feel air coming out of the fridge air vents at the back. If you don't you have an airflow problem.
If its twin evap, you need to repair/defrost the evap coil or fan inside the fridge, and more than likely your fridge defrost circuit isn't working
If it's just ducted air from the freezer, then you have an iced up freezer coil or damper that controls airflow to the fridge is iced up or faulty.

edit: If it's not frost free, then it has a leak and needs repair and regassing.