PDA

View Full Version : who can remember these?

monkey spanners
07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Found this little beauty still running on a farm near birmingham, was bought secondhand 34 years ago.....
Might still be on R12!!!

Jon

Brian_UK
07-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Looks like an old R12 milk tank cooler I repaired a fews years back near High Wycombe.

Is yours housed in a little corugated shed on the side of the barn?

1torr
07-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeh,remember them.Fridgidair isn't it.Used to be loads of them on cold rooms in hotels around Torquay.Cut my teeth on the buggers.

Pooh
07-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Frigidaire AB312 or AB444 by the look of it, grew up with those things, the company I served my time with were frigidaire agents so got to work on the full range. I know of an old frigidaire flip top freezer still working locally with a metermizer compressor on it circa 1950 ish, they dont make em like that any more.

Ian

monkey spanners
08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Brian
Its housed in the loft above the dairy:(
They wanted to fit the two new (secondhand) units on the in the loft in its place to save money on instal cost:rolleyes: I have persuaded them to put them out the back at the cost of another days labour and some pipe.

The old unit is on a Simplex Gem icebank milk tank, will take some more pictures on monday.

Jon

Brian_UK
08-07-2007, 11:56 PM
MMmmm, farmers, money, pain, mud,,,, mumbles away in the corner.....

The MG Pony
09-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Hey at least they got the sheep to come home to every day! LOL

Electrocoolman
11-07-2007, 07:53 PM
One of the my customers (a butchers) has still got something similar still running!

monkey spanners
11-07-2007, 10:27 PM
And this is what it is connected to. Its a Simplex Gem 300 gallon milk tank. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the system has two driers in series:eek:
On the wall you can see the plate cooler to take the first 10c or so out of the milk. The water from this is used for washing down the dairy, filling the cattle trough (cows drink more warm water, and then give more milk) or running to waste. The trough on this farm has two goldfish in it:confused:
The trouble with farm work (apart from the smell) is that the van fills up with flies:mad: which set the alarm off in the small hours:mad::mad:

Cheers Jon

HallsEngineer
18-08-2007, 07:35 AM
I've seen hundreds of these on R12 still running on milk depots. I had to retro fit em. I once found a York monoblock small thing running on R12, hadn't had an oil change in about 5,000,000 years and it was still chugging away happily.

old gas bottle
18-08-2007, 02:53 PM
were they not called " dynapack", my spellings crap :o humped lots of those things about, used to have a fan belt on one of the fans if i remember,small ones had a couple of 7 watters on that allways catched and rattled, memorys.:D

Snowman123
19-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Yeah thats a Dynopack, used to be in all the Coop shops. 17 years since i've seen one.

Refrigerologist
26-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Frigidaire AB312 or AB444 by the look of it, grew up with those things, the company I served my time with were frigidaire agents so got to work on the full range. I know of an old frigidaire flip top freezer still working locally with a metermizer compressor on it circa 1950 ish, they dont make em like that any more.

Ian

Metermizer, the first rotary I believe. I too worked for a frigidaire agent. There was only a discharge service port on the Metermizer. Now, this is where you younger guys will need a tin hat and safety goggles. The guy I used to work with used to heat the R12 cylinder on a gas ring. he did this to bring the pressure up above the discharge pressure of the operating compressor. He had a special brass tool that hooked up to the discharge port and he would squirt a short burst of lquid into the compressor discharge. And the other thing was the cylinders we used weren't actually refrigerant cylinders, they were oxygen cylinders from world war ll bombers!! How times have changedhttp://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif And he always left them working!!

Magoo
29-03-2008, 01:34 AM
It is a pity the current manufacturers cannot replicate the same quality these days.
magoo

peterburnett
06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Looks like an ACP622

hendry
18-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Found this little beauty still running on a farm near birmingham, was bought secondhand 34 years ago.....
Might still be on R12!!!

Jon

Hi monkey spanner,
pulling back to your initial subject ...

some of my clients are still on R12.:)

yeah ... older equipment has proven quality & design. there has been this philopsophy, "no breakdown, no repair; once repair, breakdown always"

i have been told these days, parts are designed to failed, BUT early days were designed to last.

so, ....:)

Hendry, on wesak day holiday.

doormaster2008
02-03-2009, 08:18 PM
hi monkey spanners.had a acp884running in a shop in blackpool up to 12 months ago.still got a belt driven frigidaire ad1-33 running on a small coldroom on a farm.still on r12 if i remember rightly.served my time working on these little beauty,s.

peterburnett
03-03-2009, 07:31 AM
A client of mine still has a 312 running his chiller coldroom, about 12-13 years ago some one condemned it but it had lost it's electrical supply, so I ran in a new cable, cleaned the condensor and 'bobs your uncle' and, touch wood it's still chugging away.

old gas bottle
03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
proper "brick ****house" engineering, bring it back,just make them lighter this time .:D

HallsEngineer
03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Agreed A lot lighter i remember a compressor chnage on a milk depot and i nearly fell through the roof carring the compressor.

Cyborg-mechanic
16-03-2009, 12:12 AM
begeebers monkey spanners, now that thing is old,
an ancient thing from the stone age,

i reckon that thing makes more noise than a helicopter or what,

cadwaladr
08-04-2009, 01:52 PM
ah that old r12 how we miss you soon be saying goodbye to your mate r22 how is that old high pressure sod r502 doing the alternatives leak more than mps tart