PDA

View Full Version : super market static coils

bill allen
04-07-2007, 11:27 AM
has anyone worked on frigrite deli cases with static coils? what superheat set point is best and what defrost times are best?

chillin out
04-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Static coils are manual defrost once a week (or more), but you could give it a 30 minute defrost every 6 hours if you want.

Superheat might as well be set at 6degC.

Chillin:):)

Peter_1
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
SH has nothing to do with the type of coil, always at least 5 to 6K.

Dan
31-08-2007, 02:21 AM
One 120 minute defrost at midnight is best. This keeps water droplets from forming and dripping on the meat during shopping hours. If this does not work, please tell me the details.

chillin out
31-08-2007, 09:42 PM
One 120 minute defrost at midnight is best. This keeps water droplets from forming and dripping on the meat during shopping hours. If this does not work, please tell me the details.
This is what a lot of people say on this site, but static coils are manual defrost.

No way would I let a unit that is holding food in it to be 'off' for 2 hours every night.

Either fit a fan motor or are manually defrost it.

Chillin:):)

Dan
01-09-2007, 03:57 AM
This is what a lot of people say on this site, but static coils are manual defrost.

No way would I let a unit that is holding food in it to be 'off' for 2 hours every night.

Either fit a fan motor or are manually Defrost it.

I know 120 minutes sounds extreme, but we are talking gravity coils here. Very little air movement. Fact is, you are slowly circulating 32 deg air through the coil during most of its defrost. The chamber temperature is designed to be 34 to 36 degrees. At night the case is sealed with no activity.

A fan motor is anathema to unwrapped meat products. If you want to see skin and product temperatures rise during defrost, use a blower coil. If you want to see water drawn out of the exposed product, use a blower coil.

Also, most good meat departments cover their product with cheesecloth or pull the product overnight.

A gentle 2 hour melting of frost and ice during the night in a closed case is a small price to pay for uninterrupted refrigeration throughout the busy day of a meat market.