PDA

View Full Version : Fire - run capacitor, high resistance connection?

Kenedt
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum...just "started" today....thanks in advance for your replies.

Has anyone seen a refrigerator fire caused by faulty run capacitor or high resistance connection on PTC Relay/Overload block?

The MG Pony
02-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I saw a unit that was near to a fire un one of the capaciter legs, it was a 6,000BTU med temp unit for a walk in (3/4HP) the wire going from the cap to start relay had helf of the insulation burnt off, and the wire seemed rather small for the current draw on start up.

I checked every thing and varified it in good working order then put in a new wire that was of a much higher quality and guage.

The MG Pony
02-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Oh and BTY welcom to the best site ever! great crew here and even better mods! [/suckup mode] lol

Redhot
02-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Kenedt
A paticular brand of airconditioners recieved a faulty batch of run capacitors on the compressors resulting in 4 full on fires the aircons were water cooled packages installed in the cieling of a 16 storey hotel fire department not happy nearly forcing the building to close which was only a year old. Approximately 140 units every capacitor had to be changed with very limited access. good times

Cheers
redhot

chillin out
02-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I think Kenedt is talking about a small run cap on a domestic fridge.

No, I have never seen one of these causing a fire, but I have seen the relays causing quite a few. I don't think it had anything to do with the cap though.

Chillin:):)

Brian_UK
02-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Kenedt and welcome to the forum.

Anything is possible with electrical components. I haven't seen a fire but I've seen burnt insulation due to overheated cables.

These overheats can be due to failing components or loose connections. As much as we like to think that everything is foolproof we have to remember that fools can be very clever at times.

Is this a fault with something that is yours or are you researching for a claim situation?

Oh and BTY welcom to the best site ever! great crew here and even better mods! [/suckup mode] lol
You keep sucking up there boy, we can take it:D

LRAC
03-07-2007, 07:04 AM
In my early years iv'e blown a capacitor up by wiring it wrong, that scared the crap out of me had by head close by. Small semi unit.

White smoke every where:D:D:D:D:D

Lrac

Temprite
03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
A couple of years ago we had to do a recall on a series of medium temp condensing units,due to the start capacitors causing fires.

Changed about 6 of them but never had a problem with fires on the ones that we had put in originally.

Kenedt
06-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have a bit more information now as I looked at the fridge last month. Fire started in fridge. Fire patterns indicate that the run capacitor that had been mounted to right side at back of fridge was the source of fire. It had been mounted right next to the cardboard type material compressor area cover.

Of course, there was nothing left of the capacitor.

I was wondering if others had heard of these capacitors failing, melting, burning, etc.

Thanks!

Brian_UK
06-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the update.

Do you think that there may have been a chance of water (condensation etc) having got to the capacitor?

A good short will do wonders for a capacitor :)

paul_h
07-08-2007, 12:44 AM
I think it's possible, most capacitors are oil filled. If they blow and spark the oil sprayed out could ignite and spread the fire.

The MG Pony
08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I think I know the typer he's talking about, the so called universal replacement starter kits. I had one on a properly matches system and the thing practically glowed red I since swore never to use the garbage again, I can easily see one of them failing and bursting into flame!

Kenedt
10-08-2007, 10:26 PM
No water source close by, and if something were to have dropped behind the fridge, the capacitor was protected by the compressor area cover.

nothing out of the ordinary.

expat
13-08-2007, 07:07 PM
This is some interesting stuff.

Firstly because I wonder about Redhot's story if this could not have been avoided. I mean I know this stuff was delivered and the installers were just supposed to plug it in...so to speak. But on the assembly line no-one noticed? I'm just wondering if there is a rule of thumb concerning capacitors.

You know, the sort of thing where you would look at a scooter sitting on top of a twelve cylinder Aston Martin engine and immediately think, something's not wright here!:o

Now Kenedt, in answer to your question yes I have seen potential fire hazards with capacitors.

A guy I knew (well it was my father actually, and I still know him - we're just not talking) had a water pump that he told me wouldn't start, but just made a low humming sound. He found that if he took off the fan guard and gave the motor a little kick start... off it would go. Checking the capacitor I found it to be partially melted , and in some areas blackened where the plastic had actually been bubbling. I would imagine that this heat source would have been sufficient to ignite certain fuels: what was your fridge running on?