PDA

View Full Version : ice maker

airconadam
01-07-2007, 09:37 AM
hi fellas iam not wel up on these but here it goes. iwent to an ice maker yesterday it is one of thos that flicks the water up on the evap and makes the ice cubes bigger really easy and simple. The water pipe what goes into the bottom has a water valve on it which seemed to be jammed now the reason i think this is because ther is power to the valve and the water is turned on so i thought when i loose power to it it will open but it never any one had this prob before?:confused: now the maker does make ice but i had to add water into it myself through a cup then it makes the ice but because the valve doesnt open which puts water onto the top of the evap and makes the evap defrost then the water it lets in drains down and then starts the cycle again iwil post the details on the unit later on today. This seems like an easy fault but just wondered if any one has come across this before and does this sound correct this unit did used to run but not run for over 12 months so another reason why i think it could be jammed thanks alot

adam:D

Brian_UK
01-07-2007, 12:57 PM
and 'breathe'......

Brian_UK
01-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I think that you are saying that the water inlet valve is faulty but I've got confused half way through.

Water valves often go faulty, either the solenoid will not lift the valve open due to age or a blockage.

For the price of the valve it's not worth trying to bodge the old one.

airconadam
01-07-2007, 03:57 PM
haha brian can you not say it with out breathing;) neway yer i think the valve is just jammed due to it just being turned of 12 months ago and water left in etc, but do you think if there is power to it it should be open or then as i said if i cut the power it still stayed closed:confused: one or the other should open dont you agree. why did you get lost half way thorugh hehe dont worry nothing new with me thanks alot

LRAC
01-07-2007, 06:34 PM
you might have a machine that neutral switches.

monkey spanners
01-07-2007, 06:53 PM
If you fit a new water valve, make sure it has the inlet restrictor fitted (to limit water inteke to 2/3L a minute or so) or it will fire water everywhere.

Jon

Brian_UK
01-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Also, you could check that the valve inlet filter isn't blocked.

airconadam
01-07-2007, 09:32 PM
hey thanks guys ihave checked the filter but isnt blocked. Now when you say monkey spanners make sure it doesnt keep pumping or letting water in ithought it would cut of as ther is a sensor on the top of the evap so it knows when to defrost and start the cycle again does that sound correct thanks alot

monkey spanners
01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
When you take the hose off the water solenoid valve it should have a flow restrictor in the inlet to slow down the speed the machine fill at. A friend of mine had to testify in court as a prevoius company had fitted a new valve without the restrictor to an ice maker. When the machine was run it sprayed water around inside (due to pressure too high) the customer then recieved a shock resulting in a stroke which is when my friend got involved.
I'm no expert on these things but the inlet restrictor is something i would make sure was in place if i fitted a new valve.

Cheers Jon

GlennB
08-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Adam,
I don't know who made the ice machine, but you can bet the valve is normally closed, meaning you must apply power to open the valve (It would take a moron to design with a normally open water valve). Check for voltage at the coil. If you have voltage, disconnect and re-connect one of the wires several times. Each time you make the circuit you should hear the valve snap open if not the solenoid coil is shot or the valve is gummed up inside. If you hear the snap, nothing is wrong electrically, check the water source problems described in previous replies.

Glenn

Electrocoolman
11-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Assume that there actually is water to the valve? Ive known tap washers to jam shut when turned off tightly for any length of time. Just a thought !

airconadam
08-09-2007, 10:36 PM
hey fellas sorry for no reply back in the end i fitted a new valve and hey ho all worked:D

thanks alot for all your time and help

adam