PDA

View Full Version : Charging Adaptor for BMW

Abe
02-09-2002, 11:05 PM
I am trying to find a charging adaptor so I can charge refrigerant into the air con system of a BMW 540i.
Where can I obtain one?
Or do I have to trek down to the BMW approved agent to do it for me???
Any help appreciated?

Brian_UK
03-09-2002, 10:43 PM
If the unit is R134a then you should be able to pick up snap on adaptors from any good a/c distributor, HRP eg. If no luck with your local supplier try VACP, who I see have been taken over by four seasons.....anyway, try the VACP link at the bottom.

If it is an old R12 unit then perhaps you may need a high side adaptor but I don't remember them using that type of fitting.

Don't forget that BMW tend to hide the sightglass under the trim plate next to the firewall.

Have fun.
VACP (http://www.vacp.com/4s-uk-front.htm)

Abe
04-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Hi Brian

Car is a 1999 model and uses R134 A
Yes, I couldnt see the sight glass, but Im baffled when you say trim plate under the firewall ???

Would you mind elaborating sightly.........Im not too hot on cars.....

I tried that link.........it didnt work

Ill try HRP.......I dont even have their catalogue since I dont buy much from them. I doubt RPW keeps these gadgets in stock

You wouldnt know the size of the adaptor would you, The access port on the car looks like a 3/8" SAE..... female .Has a tiny stainless steel springloaded ball in it, which when depressed by the adaptor, allows access into the system, and I can hook up my normal gauges to the adaptor.

Thanks in advance

osrm
09-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Good

I think that Diavia Grupo Delphi or Robinair have a connection accessory

Mário

mr-cool
10-09-2002, 07:26 AM
hi
the connector you require is available from thermofrost cryo 0208 670 3663 and will fit all vehicles on r134a you may, if you are going to do lots of cars want the high side connector too.

the sight glass is "normally" situated under a plastic shroud under the bonnet roughly in line with the steering wheel.

hope this helps

Mr Cool

ps talk to len fiddler at thermofrost

frank
10-09-2002, 07:32 PM
I'm also having problems getting the adaptors for the old square type Jag - I've got the universal adaptors which fit most makes except Ford but the Jag appears to have different size high and low side connections with an internal thread?

Abe
11-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Mr Cool

Thanks for the info, Ill call Len tomorrow. I have an account with them, been buying my LG air cons from them.

Regards
Abe