PDA

View Full Version : UK Company Van/Car TAX?

The Viking
19-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Here's the problem:
I can pretty much choose what vehicle my boss buys me.
I choose to get vans because of the tax situation.
My current van is due to be replaced.
Reading through the blurb on Inland revenue's website, I see that they has or are going to classify 4WD pick-ups as cars if they are "luxury" or intended to carry people.
If I read it right then all twin cabs (with proper rear doors) are going to be classed as cars (for Tax purposes) the only way out of this is by using single or super cabs (without proper rear doors).......

So, has anybody got experience of these new classifications or maybe are friendly with a tax inspectoress and can ask exactly what the score is?

Will I be taxed as a car if I get a twin cab?:eek:

(The old exception of >1tonne of payload has allegedly been scrapped)

:confused:

old gas bottle
20-06-2007, 08:00 AM
your going for the type of vehicle that the taxman is after, company reps/managers do this to get around the car tax,you will have to prove it works for a living to get away with it, why not get a nice spec window van,less hastle.

liamroys
20-06-2007, 08:26 AM
also watch out for the big engine/ gas guzzlers

they are being taxed to the nuts:mad:

LRAC
20-06-2007, 07:10 PM
also watch out for the big engine/ gas guzzlers

they are being taxed to the nuts:mad:

As you all probably know i drive a big 3litre pickup truck, on my tax disc it says light goods vehicle as the classification. Should the government decide to change a vehicle classification a consultation period of 3 years has to be implemented and passed through Parliment before the classification can be changed.

The above statement is incorrect in one aspect that it only applies to new gas guzzlers registered after July 2005.

If and i must stress if they fast track it, the regulations stipulate that any act of government being implemented to gain back payments or undually affect an individual proir to the new act commencement date shall be unlawful and discriminate against that individual who was unaware of any pending Government change in policy.

In short terms you can't punish somebody who didn't know nowt.

Lrac

frank
20-06-2007, 07:46 PM
or maybe are friendly with a tax inspectoress and can ask exactly what the score is :confused:

As if anyone is going to admit to this :D:D:D:D:p

LRAC
21-06-2007, 07:41 AM
As if anyone is going to admit to this :D:D:D:D:p

Hi frank

I'll admit to it, my Dad's a revenue & customs investigator working out of the east midlands(Leicester).
He is bloody good at maths, shame it didn't rub off on me.
One problem is he never talks about work so not much to talk about really only sport and family stuff. Before the 2 departments were combined he worked for the VAT man.

After me being in business for 18 months we were part of a normal VAT inspection and my dad turned up with an assistant, in for 2 days checking everything and yes he got back VAT from us as we forgot about Road fuel scale charges for the cars.

we laugh about it now but me and the wife were SH***ing ourselves paperwork everywhere not a stone left unturned.

Lrac