PDA

View Full Version : Cooling questions

Peter_1
19-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Can someone provide me some theoretical questions of the British, Canadian and US exams for refrigeration classes?
Eventually for the different levels if possible.

I need those to show the responsibles here in Belgium that our level, our standards aren't high enough compared to those in other countries.

I had a discussion yesterday evening: I gave the students in November 2006 a task which must me finished last week. So they had +/- 7 months.
Don't forget, this is the 2nd year classes. In Belgium, you have to go 2 years to evening classes , once a week from 06:30 PM till 10 PM.
There are also day schools but the school I'm a teacher is giving this and hundreds of other courses only in evening classes.

I personally found that the final test must represent , must be a reflection from what they saw in 2 years classes.

The task was to calculate a small vegetable and a small meat cool room connected to 1 compressor.
So they had to use an evaporating pressure regulator in case ons shuts down and additional resistances to control the humidity in the cold room.

Then a small freezer to let them think about the technics of a freezer, a small cooler to meet HACCP (50kg/110 lbs meals per batch and 5 batches/day to cool in 90 minutes)

They had to verify also if the owner could freeze 100 kg of goods (meat) during the night (8 hours an brought in fresh) with the compressor the selected.

And a shop with a split airco (+/- 12 kW/41000 BTU) in it.

The had to calculate the freezer completely manually (heat load and tubes ) and select manually the compressor, evaporator and TEV, MV, sight glass, all the components.

Because we leave nowadays in a computer world, all the rest may be done with a computer but they had to insert the print outs.

A small schematic of the lines

I gave them all the internet links they needed to make their final project and all the software was discussed in class.
I think you agree with me that you have to use software regulary to get used with it. But you have to know if they ask in a sofwatre package to enter SH that this isn't a license plate of a car.
We discussed also Coolpack during some hours.
Someone interested in refrigeration and computers will surely experiment with this marvelous piece of software.

Now, the older teachers 'blamed' me that this ways too much to handle in 7 months.
They gave in the past only one room to calculate, mostly a very small freezer room with heating resistances.
I disagreed completely because you have to know that the let pass everyone and that this in Belgium your ticket to start your own business in cooling.
Tehy even don't have to make a practical test.
So someone who's making a beautifull thesis and don't know how to connect a manifold on a compressor will get his ticket.
They will become competitors of my.

Due to my earlier intervention, they now will have to make alsoa final practical test next year and they have to succeed in both, theoretical and practical.

I like to hear your comments on this.

US Iceman
19-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Peter,

What you are teaching is more involved than anything I had when I was in class. That is not bad, but it is a lot of information to learn in 3.5 hours per week.

Do they attend classes for +/- 7 months per year for two years? If so, then the students are going to class for +/- 196 hours in two years???

When I was going through my training classes they were each day for 4 hours per day for 9 months each year. This was equal to +/- 1400 hours of class time for 2 years.

In my home town no one could work legally in their own business unless they had a "masters license". To get this a person had to have at least 5 years of experience working for someone else. Plus, you had to take a separate test.

I agree with you the students should be able to pass a test on the information you have presented during the classes. And, you should make the class difficult to "push" the students to do a better job and learn more.;)

Now, the older teachers 'blamed' me that this ways too much to handle in 7 months.

Then the older teachers were too easy on the students! If they can go into self-employed business after passing this school they should be able to do some of the tasks required. Some of the same things you do!

If the classes are too easy, then the students are learning at the expense of their customers. This always happens to some degree, but it should be minimized.

Due to my earlier intervention, they now will have to make also a final practical test next year and they have to succeed in both, theoretical and practical.

This is how I think it should be.:cool:

This helps to protect the customers. This also makes the students better!!! They need to know how to work with their hands. You know what I mean by this.

Book learning some students can do, others cannot apply the information in practical ways.:(

frank
19-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi Peter

Maybe the tasks you set the students are a little too advanced for year 2 level.

I do agree though that they need to be tested on both the practical and theoretical skills before they can get their license.

Here in the UK we seem to have gone away from the City & Guilds qualification (which was the top recognised certificate) to a more "work experience" type of learning, meaning that, all they have to do to get the qualifications is to prove they have been on site by way of compiling a portfolio containing photos and some small write up reports which has to be countersigned by a responsible person (employer/engineer etc).

This system can be abused. I much prefer the written exam method and a practical test, at least this demonstrates ability.

Lowrider
19-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm working in the refrigeration now for 15 years and still go to school! I don't know everything, but hope to know a lot in the near future!

So yes, I agree both theoratical and pratical tests!

If the diploma is going to give them the heads up to start their one business, they should at least know how to calculate a system and select the proper items!

VIXS
10-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I have some fairly new exam questions set by the british NVQ 3 send me your e mail address and i will e mail them to you

paul_h
10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I think the whole world is being dumbed down. When I did my training in 1990 there was some technical aspects, but the main focus of it was safety, electrical, getting a job and a few practical repairs.
I've got books from the same institute dated 1982, and it's so much more involved, heaps of maths and heat calculations etc, scares me looking at it. But I'm going to read them and learn.

When I speak to current apprentices, they say they aren't taught much at all, at least I learn something.
When I went to University to study comp science it was the same, it was so easy to get a degree everyone was getting one so it wasn't worth much. There wasn't even any maths in my computer science course.

So sorry OP, I can't help your cause. Educations going to the dogs and has been on a steady decline for a generation at least.

suny
10-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I am in this field for over 16 years & still learning - Yes I agree with Sanderh for his comment "I'm working in the refrigeration now for 15 years and still go to school! I don't know everything, but hope to know a lot in the near future!

So yes, I agree both theoratical and pratical tests!

If the diploma is going to give them the heads up to start their one business, they should at least know how to calculate a system and select the proper items!" I may say "the most suitable equipments"

Suny

sparrow
21-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello Peter If I can help at all please contact me as and when you wish, Your students should be pleased they have you as thier tutor. It is quite alot you have asked of them, I feel that some students may not grasp everything easily however, I say this only because some students at my class are struggling quite badly and have failed one term exam already.

This has not stopped the course, the class still progresses and these poor individuals are having to work twice as hard to stay in touch.

Sparrow

Pooh
21-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Peter
I would expect the students near the end of their second year to be able to carry out the calculations long hand and be able to make a reasonable attempt at making a selection of equipment however the college at which I teach does work at a slightly higher standard than the norm in the UK. I do not see what the problem is if the students want to get on in the industry and the fact that you gave them 7 months to complete the project is 3 time as long as I would give my students.

I must admit that a system with multiple evaporators is classed as level three knowledge according to City & Guilds but not as I see it.

Ian

frederik79
08-06-2011, 09:05 AM
"I feel that some students may not grasp everything easily however, I say this only because some students at my class are struggling quite badly and have failed one term exam already.""

so true....

mikeref
08-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Well,.. nuts. i got so involved reading this thread that, i didn't check the time it was posted and now....... i can't read the last comment:rolleyes:!!. O.K. my fail.