PDA

View Full Version : cold room fire protection

lraja
18-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi

What is the most practical fire protection system/method for cold rooms operating just above 0 degree C

thanks

raja

taz24
18-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi

What is the most practical fire protection system/method for cold rooms operating just above 0 degree C

thanks

raja

No smoking:D

Water sprinklers above and below freezing.

taz.

lraja
19-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi Taz

Well, I will try not to smoke in there :eek:,

thank you for your teply Taz

raja

DVaider
20-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I heard something about dust (maybe powder) fire-extinguisher. Try to use this one:)

The MG Pony
20-06-2007, 08:21 PM
CO2 fire supression is the best, even better is well designed and protected electrical system. IE a light and fan do NOT need a 20AMP breaker or fuse! the light and fan should have their own fuse matched to their amperage befor they go in the box.

Think of what can or could cuase a fire and remove them out side of the box away from any thing that CAN burn.

US Iceman
21-06-2007, 03:24 AM
This subject is way out of my expertise but there are several different types of sprinkler systems, i.e., wet charged and dry charged for basics.

I believe both of these use water for fire suppression, but the dry charged system does not have water in the piping until a fire is detected. Another type is a powder I believe.

I think you need to check with the insurance company providing protection coverage as they may specify the type you will use.

lana
21-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Hi there,

There is a book "Cold Store Guide" 3rd edition published by the International Institute of Refrigeration which has a complete section for Fire Safety.
ISBN 2 903 633 63 11

Hope you can find it.
Cheers

smpsmp45
21-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Do you have to use any smoke/fire detectors in that. We had a terrible experiece with those as operation at zsubzero temps is highly doubtful & one keeps getting signals all the time. This mostly hapens due to misture going in. We finally used Silicone sealnt all around the elec control circuit & that noise stopped.!!!
The wiring has to be done from the top that as well saves lots of issues of similar kind.
Ofcourse what is the size of the cold store? The fire system has lots of design implications on this aspect too.

lraja
25-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Hi

Thank you all for the replies :rolleyes:

cheers

raja

US Iceman
26-06-2007, 01:11 AM
I just happened to fnd a link that may be useful for additional information....

http://www.tyco-fire.com/

Perhpas this will help you.

Peter_1
26-06-2007, 07:32 AM
The dry system is done this way: they pressurise first the system with dry nitrogen just above the pressure of the supply water. They then opens the water valve and the system is ready.
Thisis a frost free set-up and as soon one sprinkler brakes, the nitrogen will escape through this sprinkler and the water will follow immediately after it.

claude11
26-06-2007, 07:12 PM
The dry system I saw at a plant where I worked once ,had compressed air instead of nitrogen . a compressor was attached to the system to keep the air pressure up . I thought this was better than nitrogen because if the nitrogen slowly leaked the sprinklers would come on ( hockey anyone ??). with the air compressor you would notice the compressor cutting in more often and fix slow leaks before it was too late

Peter_1
26-06-2007, 08:32 PM
They told me it was nitrogen.
The glass bulb in the sprinkler brakes due to excessive heat, so the first thing what will happen is that compressed air will blow over the fire, so this will increase rapidly the fire.