PDA

View Full Version : Converting R22 Mitsi MS18NV to MO59/R417a gas

Makeit go Right
18-06-2007, 01:56 PM
A customer has a Mitsubishi Electric Model MS18NV {5.1kW Wall-Mount}, manufactured in 1997 and operating with R22. The unit has not been used very much and is in good condition, and the customer is not ready to throw it away. They would like to change the gas for non-ozone depleting gas, and MO59 (R417a) is the immediate choice.

Yes, new equipment, very efficient etc etc…..the client is not going down that road.

I contacted Mitsi Electric and they are not interested, not in the slightest that their equipment is not serviceable after 2009 - their only comment is buy new kit. Good for sales but no help to customers who bought their R22kit.

My plan is to reclaim all the gas and fit a drier, pressure test, vac, and then charge the system with the new gas. Has anyone gone through this activity and have some other points/advice that should be included in this sequence of work?

Appreciate for ideas/help/advice.

frank
18-06-2007, 07:04 PM
We've just converted some Carrier units (90kw) to Isceon 59 for a customer that didn't want the down time or expense of installing new kit.

Good job, no problems, working better than ever before (new TEV's fitted). Ticked all the right boxes :)

Can't say that I've ever changed the gas on a Mitsi though but I don't see why it should be any different, after all it's just a working fluid and as long as you get the charge right I can't foresee any problems.

Why do you think you should fit a drier? or even pressure test, if the system is sound now?

tonyhavcr
18-06-2007, 07:31 PM
What I would like to know is why change the gas if its leaking fix it.
If they just want to change the gas to non-ozone depleting thats dumb if the units not leaking then its non-ozone depleting.
frank
the drier must be change when changing gas's......
Drier is in side the condenser unit by the compressor a d111 or 033 work the best

Makeit go Right
18-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Why do you think you should fit a drier? or even pressure test, if the system is sound now?

DRIER - think I read something from the DuPont website.

PRESSURE TEST - Ah, I didn't say that we are also moving the Room Unit a few feet too. Plus with the drier fitted. The DuPint site says to check for leaks also, so it all rolls into a pressure test.

Mitsubishi didn't want to know. No help at all, refusing anything except offering their new equipment for replacement. Doesn't seem right that they refuse to support owners of their kit who have been put in this kind of sit by Keoto Agmt etc. They should give some advice. (....grumble grumble).

Anyway, I was interested in any experiences from engineers involved with this kind of conversion work.

frank
18-06-2007, 08:29 PM
frank
the drier must be change when changing gas's......

If you open the system then, yes, change the drier. In this case, the gas is being recovered and then recharged, so why change the drier??

tonyhavcr
14-08-2007, 01:20 AM
it is not the same gas when switching from one gas a an other you need to change the drier .