PDA

View Full Version : Recip Vs Scroll compressors for Low temp cold store

smpsmp45
17-06-2007, 06:28 AM
What are the practical views on this aspect. Even economics angle is to be considered?

Peter_1
17-06-2007, 07:44 AM
I think you mean freezing temperatures?
I should go for the compressor which gives you the best COP.

US Iceman
17-06-2007, 03:41 PM
A compressor is a compressor. Compare the COP's between the various types and the cost of the compressor.

However, when comparing the compressor ratings make sure they are based on the same operating conditions (with equal subcooling and superheat). Sometimes different manufacturers use different rating conditions.

PS. Congratulations Peter on reaching your 3000th post to the RE forums.

TXiceman
18-06-2007, 11:17 PM
In addition tot he full load performance, you need to look at the part load performance of the compressors and make a determination of how much time the compressors will operate at part load.

Ken

Samarjit Sen
19-06-2007, 06:12 AM
What is the temperature being considered. Low temperature can be -40 Deg. C Te. Depending on the temperature and the application, it is possible to assess the selection of the type of compressors to be used.

smpsmp45
21-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Copeland is high on scroll for low temp applications & are marketing that aspect heavily here in India. Ofcourse I understand all these points are important. But I want to know if anyone has any practical use of such units.

Earlier Ingersoll Rand came up with Ref. unit using scroll. & have done few projects here. Though eventually company closed down their operations, the units did not report any major problems. We wnat to change over atleast major of our requirement to Scroll if those are suitable in terms of practical use.

norseman
21-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I am into scroll's on rapid freezing blood plasma units. The main advantage is that the used 5hp scroll is so silent. The unit is situated in the area of the laborants so they are happy! If noise is important ,they are great

smpsmp45
22-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Yes that one aspect I am aware of. But ofcourse that wwas a sales pitch. How does it compre in costing over semi sealed compressors? I am told that they are cheaper than semi hermetic compressors.

Peter_1
22-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Eng Student, P stands for Performance.

Samarjit Sen
23-06-2007, 12:47 PM
There is not much of a difference in cost between a scroll compresor and a semihermetic compressor.