PDA

View Full Version : Expertise in Wording

Eng Student
14-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Engineering Community,

I am spreading this through the community for criticism.

Can you please review it and provide me with any commentary or criticism that you may have? In particular, I am interested in your opinion on questions 4-5, 7-8, and 9-10 in so far as I would like to know: Have I used the correct industry terminology or phraseology? Are the ranges of answers provided for questions 9-10 likely to generate meaningful data or should I adjust the intervals (change 1-5% to 1-10%, 26% or greater to 50% or greater? etc.)? And are there any critical compressor features that I have omitted entirely? Is there anything that you would add or eliminate?

Thank you so much for any help.

Thanks again,
Eng Student

The Viking
14-06-2007, 09:21 PM
OK,
I'll take the bait...

Some background: I, and I assume most people on this board, is a hands on "field" engineer (A/C), as such the only time I would look at specifying a compressor is when the old one failed. At that point the most important thing is that I get exactly the same one as the one that has failed. (this might be slightly different for the Fridge guys)
Our end users would not know what compressor is fitted inside the units we install for them, nor would they care or know anything about it.
In the A/C game, the only people that really get involved in compressor selection nowadays is the manufacturers (Daikin, Toshiba, Airdale and the likes), most of them would never share the information their compressors are selected by.

Saying all this, I do not know what you are trying to achieve and I do know that we do a lot of strange things to gain knowledge.

Best of luck...

Eng Student
14-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Unfortunately, that response is what I am afraid of. I am also circulating the survey through a lot of companies (Whirlpool, Carrier, etc) and I am hoping I don't get a lot of the same.

The goal is to determine the values that engineers look for when purchasing/using a compressor.

Thanks you for the criticism.

Eng Student

Brian_UK
14-06-2007, 11:23 PM
I think as the Viking has said, that you are asking the wrong people for comments.

I get the feeling from looking at your questions that you are hoping that we will all want your plastic, oil less compressor.

As a service tech my requirement of a compressor is, like that of my customer, that it should perform its specified function for as long as possible and as efficiently as possible.

I really don't care what colour it is as long as it does the job.:cool:

The MG Pony
15-06-2007, 08:28 AM
I was thinking the same as brian, I want it to survive a bomb needing only a coat a paint! and not suck up a mega watt of power. IE Simple, efficient, and durable.

Eng Student
15-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Brian UK - you are about 100% correct...so I think i need to revamp that survey.

not suck up a mega watt of power. IE Simple, efficient, and durable.

MG Pony - I think after seeing that, I really need to simplify, revamp, and rework the survey.

That is exactly the info I need to back up my test results. That was an awesome comment and it shedded a lot of light on what I am doing. Thanks.

Eng Student