PDA

View Full Version : AC in the winter in wisconsin! will it work?

kurt854
12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
we have a server room that is allways warm and needs AC even in the winter.
A AC unit is being installed and condsing unit is going outside.
this is a heat pump system. my question is will it work as and air conditioner in the middle of winter?

i thought on a regulare condensing unit in sub zero temps. the compressor would lock up if you ran the ac unit. but a heat pump is differant i guess.

any one have any ideas on this? will the unit work provide cooling even when its allready freezing outside?

US Iceman
12-06-2007, 03:48 PM
kurt854,

A heat pump is intended for heating a space during cold weather. I have never heard of anyone using a heat pump to air condition in the winter time, although someone may surprise me. A standard heat pump may not have the correct controls or be equipped for this type of operation.

To get an AC system to work in the winter time you need to use head pressure controls and a receiver. Fan cycling controls are not sufficient to accomplish the requirement for controlling the discharge pressure of the unit.

Crankcase heaters are also required to keep the oil and compressor warm.

The Viking
12-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Ask the installers what units they are putting in there, then contact the manufacturer and ask what minimum ambient temperature the units been designed to provide cooling in.
But, you really should have gone for bespoke made computer room units.

Pol
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Cooling only units are often supplied without outdoor fan speed regulation. Most heat pumps nowadays come with a two step fan speed control; inverter heat pumps often have an inverter driven fan speed controller.

We know it's not a good deal as to indoor humidity etc, but in these conditions, installers often take a heat pump split to cool a small server room, so they do not have to fit a fan speed controller on a cooling only unit. In our climate, both options work ok.

VERY VERY COLD in Belgium is -10°C; it doesn't get any worse than -15°C. That's not Wisconsin, of course.

BigJon3475
13-06-2007, 06:18 AM
From what I remember reading manufacturer specs I want to say 60ºF and below you shouldn't use A/C. 60ºF and above and you shouldn't use heat.