PDA

View Full Version : derby air con systems are they any good

frosty74
12-06-2007, 04:14 AM
i have just started my own business in perth wa and thinking of marketing derby systems from polyaire.
i have read the info on them and they seem impressive.
any suggestions on them good or bad?
anyone used them?:)
are they good value?

chickenexp
14-06-2007, 01:19 PM
well were to start i dont like them ducted in door is to big and a **** of a shape, the outdoor is to loud ..my first 2 splits had craked resever pc boards so look out cheap and narsty:mad:

David G
04-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Derby is just another cheap OEM product out of China. I would not have one in my house. Stick to quality know brands like Panasonic, Daikin, ME etc, especilly when starting out, you dont wnat your reputation sullied by a poor quality product.

lawrence1
04-02-2010, 09:55 AM
frosty74

I have used their units and will not bother again.Parts are hard to get,the larger wall splits are low quality and noisy,,,best to stay with the Panas i reckon,,,,cheapest is not always the best.

fridge doctor
04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Just out of interest, can you get TCL in Oz? They are chinese but with integrity, I have installed about 300 now over a 3 year period and had no probs with any of them.

exotiic
05-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Fridge Doctor, TCL is supplied in Australia. Have never had the guts to try one though.

paul_h
07-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Hey you, whirlpool ring a bell?
I was going to link to the whirlpool thread, as they were discussed a bit there, they are just cheap chinese units similar to carrier cheapies.

There are some half decent chinese units, but support and parts are always bad no matter what the brand name, so not worth the risk.
I own 3 kmart brand wall splits myself, mainly because I am going to knock my house down and rebuild soon, so it wasn't worth buying decent units (wasn't planing on reusing them as the rebuilt house will have ducted).
I've repaired plenty of chinese splits too, most are pretty badly designed, some more than others.
TCL don't seem very good, no better than the rest. TCL stands for 'total crap line' doesn't it? :D

I recently repaired a CHIGO inverter, wasn't so bad, main problem was the main PCB wasn't supported properly. Big heavy PCB, only supported on the 4 corners, sitting above a metal tray. It had sagged a bit and arced on the chassis. Components looked OK quality, some the same as fujitsu, just a little bit of extra cost cutting and bad design was the difference.

BTW fo3 here.

philstead
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
hi Frosty
as all the fellas said keep away from them.
parts are hard to get and as you are starting out dont get caught out in the price war. stick to quality brands that have been tried and tested.

exotiic
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
ooh hello fo3 nice to see you here too. Nice to know the two extremely knowledgable people I listen to are one and the same. Only have to be told once now hehe!!!!

Waynes World
07-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I have installed a few.The 11 kw ducted unit has a very loud outside fan which the customer was ok with but the neighbours may have other thoughts.We have found the compressor capacitors to have failed and have had a condensor fan vibrate loose and smash.
The newer units have a better wall control as the first wall control had spring loaded connections which would cause the screen to go blank and the unit to not start.If the customer wants to be a tight arse the units would suit them but be ready for a call back from time to time.They are half the price of a reputable brand and nothing cheap is without drawbacks. Good luck.