PDA

View Full Version : How do I make an air dryer?

Alteran
10-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I have a problem with wet air in my boat shop air lines so I need an air dryer on my compressed air sytem.
Compressor is 10HP about 25 CFM but I only need dry air at about the rate of 10 CFM/125 psi.
I don't care to spend the money to buy a dryer, I'd prefer to make one. I have a new window air conditioner I could use parts from.
Anyone know where to find plans or who to ask to get plans for a refrigerated compressed air dryer?

chillin out
10-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Put the evaporator in front of the condenser then duct the inlet air through these.

Job done.

Chillin:):)

Alteran
10-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the advice but I must admit to refrigeration ignorance. I'm an experienced metal fabricator,fluid power technician and engine rebuilder but I have never dealt with refrigeration.
Could you provide any more basic information to allow me to accomplish this?
How do I determine if the refrigeration unit will be large enough?

Any further help will be most appreciated.

Al.

lana
11-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Hi there,

We did make our air drier ourselves and it has been working for more than 20 years.

We use an air cooler (like car radiator) to cool the discharge air. Then this relatively colde air goes into a cyclone like chamber which has silica gel inside. At the bottom of the cyclone we have hand valve which drains the condensed water. In the cyclone we have heaters which are energized when silica gel is saturated.

Hope this helps.
Cheers