PDA

View Full Version : Training and Qualifications

Gavin Young
09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Hullo all. Firstly i am soon to become an Ex Royal Marine Vehicle Mechanic. I have plenty of experience in diesel engines and 12/24v electrical systems. I have completed some Refrigeration training, but have run out of date for the handling qualification. As potential employers what are you looking for? I have 2 years in which to gain enough experience and qualifications prior to me leaving the service. I start an NVQ 3 refrigeration course at my local college in Sep. I would like to work in the road transport area. Will i need any electrical qualifications to work on the 3 phase side? Ideally i would like offer my services to a company part time over the next 2 years to gain experience in the job. Any offers in the Devon area?
Regards. G Young.

bernard
09-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi

Gavin and Welcome,I,m also ex forces and live in North Devon.I presently work in the supermarket sector.Are you at Chivenor or Taunton?

For Transport Refrigeration you have Marshall Thermo-king in Bristol there is also a large Refrigertion haulier in Torrington there name as slipped my mind for the moment.However I would think they would offer you some work.There engineers work on refrigeration the tractor units and trailers.here is a link for marshalls.

http://www.marshallthermoking.co.uk/

I can ask My employer if you wish.

Regards and good luck ;)

Bernard

bernard
09-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Gavin

Just noticed your age which could narrow your options down possibly,please don,t take it the wrong way.If you after money then refrigeration is the place to be,if money is not high on your list then there is other options with your quals i,e maintenace engineer permanently based some where.

Regards Bernard

taz24
09-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Ideally i would like offer my services to a company part time over the next 2 years to gain experience in the job. Any offers in the Devon area?
Regards. G Young.

You are doing the best thing.
You need to get your name about and as you say offer your time for free.
All the best.

taz.

Gavin Young
10-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Hi Gavin

Just noticed your age which could narrow your options down possibly,please don,t take it the wrong way.If you after money then refrigeration is the place to be,if money is not high on your list then there is other options with your quals i,e maintenace engineer permanently based some where.

Regards Bernard

Bernard, Thanks for getting back to me. Currently I am serving in Plymouth. Yes I have served at both locations you mention. I want a job which will challenge me up till my pension kicks in. Then I will be happy to take up one of the posts you mention. Thanks for the info ref marshalls, I was not aware that Torrington had a large haulage firm however I suppose that will be somthing to do with the slaughter house. I am willing to travel to get the right training prior to leaving the Royal Marines. Regards.
Gavin.

bernard
10-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi Gavin

The company in Torrington is M&D Transport.

Lloyd Maunder in Cullompton also have their own Engineers.

http://www.lloydmaunder.co.uk/

Regards Bernard