PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen purging?

monkey spanners
08-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Has anyone tried one of those regulators with the little glass tube and a beed which you can set for litres/minute by how high the beed is in the tube, for nitrogen purging when brazing, saw one in boc depot for about 70 pounds. It was intended for argon/co2 for mig/tig welding but has the same inlet fitting nitrogen bottle.

Cheers Jon

taz24
08-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Has anyone tried one of those regulators with the little glass tube and a beed which you can set for litres/minute by how high the beed is in the tube, for nitrogen purging when brazing, saw one in boc depot for about 70 pounds. It was intended for argon/co2 for mig/tig welding but has the same inlet fitting nitrogen bottle.

Cheers Jon

They are good and do exactly as they are described to.
They are a bit delicate and don't like being thrown into the back of cars:)
For the money though you can set the gas flow up with the gauge and a control valve.

Cheers taz.

Peter_1
09-06-2007, 02:03 PM
We use exactly the same, far better the a pressure readng.
But on the other hand, you simply can use your N2 regulator so that you only need one. Pressure is nott hat important, just a very gentle flow to prevent O2 infiltration.
For TIG welding ,they take +/- 8 to 10 l/min for counterflow welding.

monkey spanners
09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I see a trip to the tool shop in the not too distent future. Will need a bigger van soon!

cool#9
10-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi
I use the same device while welding.
This pressure regulator is helpful on large diameter, when you put a plastic cap with a small hose at the other end, the regulator will avoid pressure increases, makes the nitrogen flow stable.
We take from 3 to 5 l/mn.
Also we use and electric plug with frequency remote control supplying an ev to make on/off control at distance ... hope this speed up your work.!
Kind regards
cool#9

aawood1
10-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi I use one all the time to purge with argon when Tig welding s/steel pipe work. And then with OFN when purging Ammonia pipe work before cutting and when welding in new parts into the system.
Arthur.