PDA

View Full Version : Salary question

richard_kj
07-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi,

I've been headhunted for a job in Baharin, the only problem is they are looking for me to state the sort of wage I am seeking. Great you might say, but I don't want to sell myself short, if you know what I mean :)

Does anyone have any guide as to what sort of salary is the norm to work out there, or generally in the middle East?

Thanks.

lana
07-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi Rechard and welcome to the RE.

As far as I know wages vary according to the job one does. Here we have European companies who pay a lot of money, even to local engineers.

What I suggest is this :
Do a little research about the place you are planning to go. Find out about the living conditions and local regulations. Sometimes the local laws are so strict that no money is worth earning:mad:.
Then try to estimate the cost of living there. Is your salary enough to have a decent and comfortable life there? (and a little saving:rolleyes:)

My suggestion might be very basic but I would do the same before I decided.

Good luck
Cheers

Argus
07-06-2007, 04:06 PM

Talk to an acountant to find out what your tax liabilities will be in both places and the possibility of offsetting local taxes.

I worked in the middle east 30 years ago and you could virtually name your salary in those days, typically 2.5 times the UK equivalent in this game particularly as I carried electrical and refrigeration skills, but those days are long gone.

The probability is that you will earn the equivalent of a top end UK salary, with perks, such as free housing etc and a so called tax free salary - but don't be taken in by 'tax free' salaries and off-shore banking. The UK finance act has shut most of the loopholes.

WebRam
07-06-2007, 04:19 PM
my brother is out there just now and is on £65k tax free