PDA

View Full Version : Clothing spec for working in a chill

Scooby
06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any info on what and where to get commercial clothing for workin in a chiller. I have a customer who has several new high care areas that have to be maintained at 11c. Can you tell me where to find any info on the reg's for clothing etc working at this temp.

cheers

Scooby

Dr._Fleck
06-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I've never heard of any reg's for working at 11c, apart from those hair nets and white coats.

Perhaps it's because the worker could sue for having to work in such extreme temperatures:rolleyes:

analog
07-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any info on what and where to get commercial clothing for workin in a chiller. I have a customer who has several new high care areas that have to be maintained at 11c. Can you tell me where to find any info on the reg's for clothing etc working at this temp.

cheers

Scooby

Poor bugger. You will surely freeze. What kind of high care area needs that type of refrigeration?

I once spent 6 hours at -20 F to protect some dumb-ass steak for an asian restaurant, a walk in box.

I had to warm my hands up by rubbing them in crushed ice.

Andy W
07-06-2007, 07:25 AM
11oC, that is shorts and t shirt temperature where we come from.

lana
07-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi there,

I have bought freezer clothing for -40°C and they are very good.
Go to this site and look for protective clothing.

www.QAsupplies.com (http://www.QAsupplies.com)

They are based in the US. They have everything overalls, gloves ,.... they are Chinese made but really good.

Cheers

chillin out
07-06-2007, 07:51 PM
11oC, that is shorts and t shirt temperature where we come from.
Also note that Scooby is from Scotland.

40 degrees - Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Scotland sunbathe.

35 degrees - Italian cars won't start. People in Scotland drive with the windows down.

20 degrees - Floridians wear coats, gloves, and wool hats. People in Scotland throw on a T-shirt.

15 degrees - Californians begin to evacuate the state. People in Scotland go swimming in the sea.

0 degrees - New York landlords turn the heat on. People in Scotland have a last barbecue before it gets cold.

-10 degrees - People in Miami are extinct. People in Scotland lick flagpoles instead of ice lollipops.

-20 degrees - Californians all now live in Mexico. People in Scotland throw on a light jacket.

-80 degrees - Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic. Scottish Boy Scouts postpone winter survival exercise until it gets cold enough.

-100 degrees - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. People in Scotland wear a vest and put something on under their kilts.

-173 degrees - Ethyl alcohol freezes. People in Scotland are angry 'cos they can't thaw their whisky bottles.

-297 degrees - Microbial life starts to grind to a halt. Scottish cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

-460 degrees - ALL atomic motion stops. People in Scotland start saying "Aye it's a bit cooler today... eh?"

-500 degrees - Hell freezes over. Scottish people support England in the World Cup

Chillin:):)

Scooby
08-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Also note that Scooby is from Scotland.

Chillin:):)Scottish people support England in the World Cup

That may be a bit extreme..................:p

Cheers
Scooby

smpsmp45
08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
We are importing the clothes from USA. The Link to the company is as under.

http://polarwear.com/

These are fantastic clothes & we are using /selling on all of our projects

Argus
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi all,

cheers

Scooby

Here's a link to an HSE leaflet introducing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). It's a legal requirement of work in the UK.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf

Your employer should assess what you need according to the work you are doing and the environment you are doing it in and provide it free.

At 11C, you are probably only talking about decent light winter clothing, but the PPE should protect you from hazards and in sensitive areas, the environment from you.
Additionally if there are moving vehicles, fork trucks etc, you need high visibility jackets.

Scooby
09-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.....

Very helpful as usuall

cheers
Scooby

Sledge
14-06-2007, 05:49 AM
I have found that the best clothing for working in freezers is Marino wool. I like the Icebreaker brand, but there are many others. They are not cheap, but I when you spend all day at-20c, you are not thinking about saving a few dollars.

Abby Normal
22-06-2007, 05:33 AM
where r u from sledge, i grew tired of the 40 below and 4 feet of snow myself