PDA

View Full Version : Ventillation for Tuna processing

smpsmp45
04-06-2007, 07:40 AM
We have to design a system for tuna processing plant. Tuna is cooked in the plant & there is lot of bad smell all over the plant. We had installed a fresh air Fan earlier, but still the smell is too much. Are there any good scrubbers or Air wahser systems which can take care of this issue? has anyone worked on a similar plant & designed a system?

Samarjit Sen
04-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Since the Tuna is being cooked inside the plant itself, you can only get the smell off by providing exhaust fans with a hood and take the air out through ducts to outside. The air cfm and the velocity should be suffecient to suck the air out.

In case you can provide me with a layout of the cooking area with the dimensions of the space, maybe I would be in a position to help you and suggest a suitable fan.

You may send me a PM. We are also dealing with ventilation system and representing a USA based firm manufacturing various fans.

With best wishes,

US Iceman
05-06-2007, 02:27 AM
I see a couple of potential prospects that may help.

1) isolate the cooking area by using partitions as much as possible.

2) provide intake and exhaust air fans for this isolated area. The outdoor air should be supplied in sufficient volume to dilute the indoor air to an acceptable level. The exhaust fan would have to remove all of this air and transfer it away from the building so that it does not re-entrain in the supply air.

Here are some links that might help.
http://www.strobicair.com/pdf/MixedFlowImpellerTechnologyForOdorManagement.pdf

http://www.strobicair.com/pdf/EngSys7_00.pdf

http://www.strobicair.com/pdf/ChemEngProg11_99.pdf

Note: the last link has some very good information on this.

smpsmp45
05-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Yes, I know unless that much data is available, no design can be worked out. But I though may be there are special points on Tuna processing. I am arranging to get the Drawings & other details about the site installation & I shall post it on site
Many thanks for the links & are very good.

US Iceman
05-06-2007, 12:56 PM
This is an interesting problem, so please keep us informed on your progress.

Dr._Fleck
06-06-2007, 10:50 PM
I've just been processing my toonas for tomorrow, toona smells great:D

smpsmp45
08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
If you are eating them, yes they do smell very nice, but if you are processing them , its a big big problem.

I shall keep the results & our work on this site

lana
08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi there,

I have been trying to locate a man which I know who works for a company which in turn produces an air filter device with ionizing the air.
This device is fantastic and takes care of the odor.
Unfortunately I dont know the company's name and only know this man who is traveling right now.
When I find him I will give the details of the company to you.

I had a very small prototype which dealt with odor beautifully.

Regards

smpsmp45
09-06-2007, 04:08 PM
This is an interesting news. I shall wait for the details. Though Ashrae does not recommend use of Ozone as such.

Samarjit Sen
09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Charcoal filters are suitable for absorbing the odour. In this case it may not be effective as coocking the tuna is a constant process and the odours shall be constantly generated. I feel to remove the odours it would be more effective if the air is exhausted through a hood connected by a duct by a high cfm and velocity fans.

smpsmp45
10-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Now I have all the details on the plant layout & I shall try & put it on the post so we can have specific details & discussions

smpsmp45
11-06-2007, 07:21 AM
After the discusisons with the client, folllowing points have come out.

1. In the processing hall, the retort is boxed out to suck out the air. When the door is opened, the steam comes out. Ofcourse to get out the product, the door needs to be opened.
2.In the Boxing, a fan on top is provided & it sucks all the steam & odour with it.
3. The issue is when this air/ steam is left out of the factory, the odour gets carried away to all surrounding areas.
4. This is the major concern for the client. They have a tea processing facotry & lots of IT industry around.
5. The odour has to be removed form this air which is going out of the factory.
6. So some odour removal equipment neds to be installed after the fan so that clean air is left to atmosphere.

smpsmp45
11-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Few PHotos of the arrangement

lana
11-06-2007, 08:58 AM
The ionizing device I mentioned is installed in the exhaust duct and it takes care of the odor.
I am still trying to find that man I know. He is traveling right now and it is impossible to find him.
I will keep you posted.
Cheers

Samarjit Sen
13-06-2007, 05:03 PM
As far as I know that Charcal filter absorbs odours. You may contact some of the filter manufacturers in India who will be able to give you further details.

I will also contact some of firms and get back to you.

Samarjit Sen
14-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Here is a link of activated charcoal filters :

http://www.sagicofim.it/doc/catalistino_eng/CAF.pdf

You may visit www.sagicofim.it (http://www.sagicofim.it) to get further information

smpsmp45
15-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Many thanks for the details. It is very clear that now we have to install the activated charcoal filters in the exhaust system itself.

I shall post the updates on this, once we conclude the course of action with the filter manufacturers.

Peter_1
16-06-2007, 06:16 PM
As far as I know that Charcal filter absorbs odours. You may contact some of the filter manufacturers in India who will be able to give you further details.

I will also contact some of firms and get back to you.

Problem with these charcoals is that you have to replace them very often.
We've dne this once to stop the smell from a cooking hood above a French Frie fryer.

Samarjit Sen
17-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Yes you are correct. The activated charcoal filters requires replacement, but they are effective.

smpsmp45
24-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Finally we are working with a company based in Denmark on this. It is more than ADF filters though.

Let us collect all the details & I shall post those on this forum.