PDA

View Full Version : Chill'n the dead

analog
02-06-2007, 04:16 AM
About 5 days before last christmas, I had to do a refer retrofit in a funeral prep room. They didn't close it down, I guess a lot of people die over the holidays.

It was mostly older people the first couple of days, middle age the next. On the last day, they rolled in a mother and her two young sons, the estranged father had shot them all in the head.

I cried like a baby that night, some christmas.

chillin out
02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Sad story.

I also used to do a lot of work with body chillers and I always said to the staff member that if there were any kids in there then please move them first.
I don't mind seeing the old folk, but anyone under 20 is just too sad to see.

A colleague of mine had the misfortune of seeing a young tot, he also had trouble sleeping that night.

Chillin:) :)

monkey spanners
02-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I've put a coldroom in at a funeral directors an we had to move the"customers" out of the way ourselves as they were short staffed with it being winter time (and all the older people dying). I think it was the colour that they were that was most disturbing. They were layed out on planks with a sheet over them, the one i helped move's arm slipped out from under the sheet.
I always hate working in butchers shops, i don't mind when they are in one piece, but chopped up:(
As a child i used to help out my dad, being took to hold the torch in an abattoir (aged 10) wasn't one of his best parenting disisions :rolleyes:

Cheers Jon

analog
05-06-2007, 03:59 AM
This may sound kind of whiney, but thanx for listening you guys. It kinda makes me feel better, kinda like I'm not the only one in the world that has to deal with this dark side of the trade.

Again, thanks for the ear mates, (not to be confused with ear mites).

That was for you Abby, but the sentiment was genuine.

thebigcheese
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
We look after a morturary and 1 of the guys went in and his grandmother was there, ran out screaming

coolerboy
09-06-2007, 01:37 PM
got called out one morning to a unit that had ran out of diesel. got there only to find the driver had died during the night. the thing that haunted me the most about that was the look on the guys face.

Lowrider
09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Not work related but for me scary non the less!

On the news a few weeks ago there was an item about a guy who took his own life and that of his two sons by walking in front of a moving train. After two days I found out it was one of my friends at elimentary school who I lost track off! Made my heart skip a beat! I couldn't even go to the funeral! Was closed to family only! scary!

hillbillywillie
15-01-2009, 03:08 AM
I don't like the idea of working with the dead.
I've found a dead guy at the side of the road in the Scottish Borders once when on a fishing trip, and that was bad enough.
Found a human leg in a hospital fridge when P.M. ing and saw a pathologist examine bits of human laid out on a bench. Just don't like it at all.
I prefer ice cream and milk products!
(they don't have fish fingers here in this part of the U.S.!)

multisync
15-01-2009, 04:04 AM
We look after a morturary and 1 of the guys went in and his grandmother was there, ran out screaming

She obviously wasn't as dead as first thought..

GHAZ
15-01-2009, 10:49 PM
About 9 years ago i was helping a friend out because he was on holiday i just covering for him, got a call from him to attend a site ,the temperature was,nt coming down, got there it was a funeral parlour,the evaporator was past the bodies ,and the room next to it was a guy doing make up on a body ,as though its normal,but i was shaken

old gas bottle
16-01-2009, 04:31 PM
and why is it most of the repairs needed are inside the cold room ?:eek:

richardb14
20-02-2009, 07:58 PM
its the smell though, you never forget it

Mazdamike
17-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Went to one site for a noisy evap fan, hitting guard, sent the apprentice in as smaller and more flexible to climb around the racks. After a few mins a neck block hit the floor followed by the comment" i'm not lying on that any more". Apprentice screemed and tried to get out fast. Came out of door like out of a cannon, one forward roll, back on feet, then through the door at high speed. Attendant on floor laughing saying "best one yet".:D

p_p
19-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't like the idea of working with the dead.
I've found a dead guy at the side of the road in the Scottish Borders once when on a fishing trip, and that was bad enough.
Found a human leg in a hospital fridge when P.M. ing and saw a pathologist examine bits of human laid out on a bench. Just don't like it at all.
I prefer ice cream and milk products!
(they don't have fish fingers here in this part of the U.S.!)

From experience, It's not the dead people you have to worry about It's the ones that are still living.

PP

lowcool
02-06-2009, 03:24 AM
local hospital morgue room died,attended job,got it up and running sweetly,low and behold i didnt think my dad would be using it five days later.did feel comfortable that he was at least chilling

cooltools
17-06-2009, 03:01 PM
had to check for leaks in one,with old type of leak lamp with a flame.The morgue was still full of bodys just space for me to get in with me new friends!was doing great job till set old women hair on fire!!!!!!DOO

Deano89
08-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Im an apprentice and our company looks after the local mortuary. Im used to it now after a couple of years. I even get the nice job(because im the only apprentice) of climbing in and removing the evap when we were updating equipment in the freezer. Disposeable overalls and mask didnt stop all the gungeand water dripping into the one part of my body not covered up. The bodys themselves dont bother me when looking at a fridge, wear gloves and wash thoroughly. Its the thought of what the hells been sucked into the coil.

glenn1340
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I did some work in a hospital a few years ago, the hospital engineer had a baby`s skull for a paper weight that had been found in an old store room.
Allways st.icks in my mind how sick that was