PDA

View Full Version : Condenser Coils

bernard
01-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi
I noticed on some large condenser coils that there were small patches of the coils that were a different colour,I was told this was called gold fin,but why only on small areas and not the whole coil.

Regards Bernard

US Iceman
02-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Bernard,

Is there a link to this you can provide please?

Thanks.

lana
03-06-2007, 04:36 AM
Hi
I noticed on some large condenser coils that there were small patches of the coils that were a different colour,I was told this was called gold fin,but why only on small areas and not the whole coil.

Regards Bernard

Dear Bernard,

When fins are produced by fin press machine then each bunch are placed at a time and tubes are passed through them. Sometimes the other bunch is placed on top of the previouse one by different direction (upside down).
This gives a different colour shading.

I hope that I describe it well.;)

I have not heard about gold fins !!!!:rolleyes:

Cheers

smpsmp45
03-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Seems logical & I too have seen that when I was in Saudi & making large coils for 360 Tons Water chillers - Air cooled.

bernard
03-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi

Thanks for your explanation,I,ve been told if your purchasing a coil for use next to the sea then request for a gold fin coil its an anti-corrosion coating.Can,t seem to find any links for it.

Thanks Bernard

lana
03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Bernard,

Actually the Gold Fins you mentioned is copper fins.
Near sea side you have high humidity and also salt in the air. This is very severe in The Persian Gulf area.
So when the tubes are of copper and fins of aluminum then you get Galvanic corrosion. Like battery if you like.
When fins are from copper also, then there will be no different metals and the galvanic corrosion will be minimized.
On the off shore oil platforms where there is H2S gas present then with moisture, Sulphuric acid is created and the fins (copper also) will be destroyed.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Latte
03-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi All,

Check out www.beehivecoils.co.uk for info on coil types

Regards

Raymond

smpsmp45
10-06-2007, 06:51 AM
If you see LG site, they are specifying this gold fin concept. That is the protective coatings as mentioned

Samarjit Sen
10-06-2007, 11:02 AM
The gold fin is a coating of anti corrossive paint over the alumunium fins. These fins are generally used for application in Steel Plants, Alumunium Plants, Onion Storage Plants and where ever ther is a corrossive gas formation. These coatings are special and now most of the Coil manufacturers in Europe and USA are having such coils. They are also known as Electro Fin coils.

US Iceman
10-06-2007, 04:08 PM
The Electro Fin coils I have seen are black. This is probably the best coil coating I have seen so far. Heresite coated coils are an amber/orange color. I have heard some concerns about the life expectancy of this, but it may have been due other issues also to be fair.

I wonder what the composition of the gold fin coating is?

monkey spanners
10-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Maybe they are just anodised (aluminium fins) hence the colours used blue, gold, black.

Jon

momo
10-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Some manufacturers are treating their condenser coils with "gold". Even so, it seems more of a sales point since in my experience the reduction in corrosion is negligeable.
With respect to the coloured (blue and others) some coatings are protective like the gold others are hydrophobic (reject water) to avoid accumulation dirt and surface heat insulation.
Same comment: quality is variable as are the makers of machines !!!

Samarjit Sen
11-06-2007, 03:38 AM
There are two known manufacturers of these coatings on coils that I know. One is Blygold and the other Is Thermoguard. They have a special system with which they apply the coat of paint over the fins. These not only save the coils from corrossion but also ensures more firmness to the copper-allumunium bondings.

However the best coated fins are the Electro fins.

Floridamike13
17-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Gold fin is simply a pre-coated fin stock. To actually determine if a coil has been post coated, look at the headers and manifold to determine if its the same color as the fins.