PDA

View Full Version : Oil Recovery

bernard
01-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Hi

I have to reclaim 400kg of refrigerant from a pack plus 20kg of oil. I,m concerned that when I reclaim the oil in to 5 gal plastic containers that the refrigerant boiling off is illegal,If so what is the best way to reclaim the oil.

Regards Bernard

Lowrider
01-06-2007, 10:05 PM
If you're also recovering the refrigerant, do this first and then take out the oil! The loss of refrigirant will be at a minimum! Be sure to disconnect the oil heaters, 'cause they'll burn through!!

If you're only taking out the oil, put it in your R-cilinder and use your recovery unit to take out the refrigerant and put it back into the system! Afterwards drain the oil into a can and have the cilinder cleaned!

bernard
01-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Yes I,m recovering the refrigerant first but even the minimum refrigerant loss may be illegal,this is my concern.

On another job recently I recovered all the refrigerant from a pack so as a sub contractor could fit new condensers,the next day the refrigerant had boiled off causing refrigerant loss when he cut into the pipe.

Regards Bernard

Lowrider
01-06-2007, 10:22 PM
In Holland there's no problem, if losses are under 1% per year!

So how much did you loose?

Some refrigerant will stay in the oil after recovery and will escape in time raising the pressure in the system again, especially if the surounding temp is low! You could look for condensation or icing on all components whilst recovering and heat these spots!

monkey spanners
02-06-2007, 01:48 PM
If you got a mid sized recovery bottle you could suck all the oil into that (when sending back lable as likely contaminents as oil air etc, or check with the supplier about sending back oil rich refrigerant) . Vac pump on vapour connection, 1/4" copper stub and flexy pipe on liquid connection, dip tube into sump, suck out oil. Have made a smaller one out of a disposable bottle and a 1/4" hand valve that i use when changing oil. (don't overfill as it comes out the vac pump like a fountain)
When i'm decomissioning something i usually pull a vacuum with the recovery rig and wait to see if it rises over half an hour or so if not then i've got out all that is coming out and break the vacuum with ofn. Make peolpe aware its got 5psi ofn in it and not to worry at a small hiss on cutting a pipe. Its always better when you are on site as the work is being done but people often don't want to pay for it.

Jon

bernard
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi

I like that idea for oil recovery,I,ll check with nrs if they,ll accept a recovery cylinder full of oil.

Regards Bernard