PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Burn out?

gwilliamson
31-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi chaps
I went to a daikin unit today to move it up a wall slighty. On connecting the gauges for a pump down the leaked refrigerant (albeit a little) looked like expanding foam and had a charcoal kind of smell. Next i could not get the unit to run in cooling for the pump down no matter how low i set the thermostat. On checking the various terminals with a multimeter i went to check 1 & 2 to the indoor unit and the compressor sprang to life, All i did was attach the multimeter, i didnt short any thing!!:confused:
Model number is Daikin R45DBV11B on R22
Any ideas greatly appreciated
Thanks Gareth

nh3wizard
31-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Loose connection maybe?

frank
31-05-2007, 09:21 PM
More than likely it was the anti cycle timer holding it off and your fiddling with the controller just increased the time it took to start the compressor.

Putting your meter over terminals 1 & 2 wouldn't do anything as therminal 1 is 240v live in and terminal 2 is the data transmission link. Terminal 3 is neutral.

gwilliamson
31-05-2007, 09:25 PM
More than likely it was the anti cycle timer holding it off and your fiddling with the controller just increased the time it took to start the compressor.

Putting your meter over terminals 1 & 2 wouldn't do anything as therminal 1 is 240v live in and terminal 2 is the data transmission link. Terminal 3 is neutral.

Thanks Frank, Would you normally expect to see any R22 in that consistency? It was brown and almost like expanding foam? Also smell burnt! The meter was the point that really threw me as obviously was not expecting anything apart from a reading over 1 & 2.
Thanks

frank
31-05-2007, 09:33 PM
These little beasties dont have a crankcase heater so if you were connecting up to a cold unit you would get quite a bit of oil mixed in with the refrigerant when you connect or disconnect the gauges.

I've seen it many times, frothy oil/refrigerant, squirts everywhere if you are not quick enough :D

The smell - well if it smells burnt then it most probably is.

gwilliamson
31-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Many thanks for all your help
Gareth

gwilliamson
31-05-2007, 10:10 PM
These little beasties dont have a crankcase heater so if you were connecting up to a cold unit you would get quite a bit of oil mixed in with the refrigerant when you connect or disconnect the gauges.

I've seen it many times, frothy oil/refrigerant, squirts everywhere if you are not quick enough :D

The smell - well if it smells burnt then it most probably is.

Oh and forgot to say,
I had 240v across all four terminal to the indoor unit, but unit only started on 1 & 2