PDA

View Full Version : oil level in compressor

airconadam
29-05-2007, 07:32 PM
hi again fellas iwas wondering that when you are adding oil to a compressor ,can i go of the sight glass to say half way or not? I know there is ment to be 6.6 litres in it but say you couldnt get the rest out and its second hand any help welcome thanks alot

adam

NoNickName
29-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Second hand oil? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I can only say: "why?"

Brian_UK
29-05-2007, 08:09 PM
If you're not sure how much has come out of the system then really you need to run on full load to get the present oil charge back.

Monitor the level with the system running and add or remove as required.

airconadam
29-05-2007, 08:11 PM
hehe:rolleyes: iknew these questions was going to come no i ment.... a second hand compressor which has run before but now been put into another unit and oil drained by some one eles. So if you imagine ihave turned up to put this compressor in but got told by the customers the other firm said they took the oil out:eek: etc etc and nothing in the sight glass i have got the oil which is the correct type but 6.6 litres is from dry.just a general question really i would of thought you should be able to go off the sight glass but you never know thanks alot

adam:D

airconadam
29-05-2007, 08:12 PM
But Brian what if there is nothing in the compressor any chance of it seizing of burning out etc problems??

thanks alot adam

Brian_UK
29-05-2007, 08:14 PM
No, fair comment, fill to the bottom quarter of the sight glass to start with so that there is some in there.

Have you got an oil pump so that you can add with the unit running?

airconadam
29-05-2007, 08:20 PM
yer brian :D now do i put it in the oil port next to the sight glass or can i put it in the suction. Not to sure on this,can you put it in the suction or not and if not why not:confused: thanks alot

adam

Brian_UK
29-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Bear in mind that the oil returning from the system is going into the compressor via the suction port so you can charge through there as well.

Mind you, don't pump too hard ;)

airconadam
29-05-2007, 08:39 PM
ok cool:cool: just put it in abit at a time in the suction then thanks alot brian:D

adam

chillin out
29-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Just fill it up to half way across tha sight glass and it should be ok.

Run it for a while and recheck the level.

Chillin:):)

airconadam
29-05-2007, 10:00 PM
:D thanks alot fellas great help once again

monkey spanners
29-05-2007, 11:17 PM
If you pump it in the suction too quickly it can get pumped round the system by the compressor insted of droping into the sump. You look at the sight glass and think job done and pack up tools etc. Do a final check after paperwork, cup of tea etc and think begger me wheres all that oil come from?

Jon