PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to anyone else?

expat
27-05-2007, 10:28 AM
The other day, curious to see what problems others have come across and how they solved them, I was browsing the Troubleshooting forum.

I came across a thread from May 2005 detailing problems with wine coolers. Great, I thought, as I had had problems with three wine coolers on a boat here in the Med.

As I read through the 4 pages of posts the case started to sound more and more similiar but, no, I thought, it couldn't be.

Then, I clicked on the author's link to another site to see some pictures...oh no!:eek: . You geussed it - IT WAS ME WHAT DONE DID THAT§

By the way Peter your guess was right it was a defrost valve.

Anyway for me the following come to mind

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that ...

If at first you don't succeed...

If you can't fix it leave, it that...

If anyone is still interested, I can explain why it's not my fault (I promiss).

expat
27-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry, forgot to post the link, it's in trouble shooting page 6 , title Marine Wine Fridges

Peter_1
27-05-2007, 08:27 PM
This is the link
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4299&page=2

allways eager to learn, tell us more.

expat
28-05-2007, 03:30 PM
It was in 2005
The wine coolers were in the lower decks near the crew cabins. As the yacht had recently been bought there was a complete new crew on board so no-one could tell us if the two faulty coolers had ever functioned properly but the one still running had trouble getting below 13°c as I remember.

The compressors ran on the faulty coolers but they sounded bad so the cheif engineer agreed with my boss to change the compressor and condenser groups.

It was my task to refit so I simply labelled pipes and wires prior to chopping out and put the new groups in in exactly the same configuration.

Refit : Easy peesee
Commissioning : not so easy

The only way I could find to get the temp down was to juggle with the suction pressure. At one point, at about 5:30 in the evening, I got the temp in the cooler down to 4°C so I happily went home.

Next morning I went to find the cooler switched off. Apparently during the night the evaporator had frozen up and the cooler started to warm up and at about 2am (i was told) the little Eliwell controller started to wail. I was not very popular with the crew!

After recharging to raise the suction pressure I was pulled off the job as there were so many other things more important to do on this soon to be leaving for the USA yacht.

Could it be that the evaporator was dirty? I don't know. I wasn't allowed the time to dismantle the riveted box that it was lodged inside.

Could it be that it needed more or longer defrost periods? Could the fan ducting have been pierced? Could they simply have been poorly designed and never really worked well? Could it be that they were designed for red wine and not the champagne the new millionaire owner wanted colder? Because in that case acheiving 13°C nice and gently without too much dehumidifying would be good.

Anyway it is both frustrating and dissapointing to walk away from a job that doesn't work and you don't know why.

Still on the upside he was alive which would indicate he had been eating so apparently the freezer I fixed is still working. And the pictures prove the boat hasn't sunk which means the electronics boards that manage the boat's directions are no longer overheating down in the engine room where we rigged up a mini air con just for that cupboard:D

NH3LVR
28-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Kind of reminds me of what happened to me in Alaska once on a converted US Navy Yard Oiler.
I was asked to go down to a Fish Tender and check the Bait Freezer. The Boat was going King Crabbing and the Freezer had not been run in years.
I went on deck and opened the doors. The first one fell off because of rust.
OK, we can live with that. Prop it back in place and go below. Except no one knows where the Condensing Unit is.
Back on deck-trace the lines to a water cooled Copeland below.
Start it up-no problem. Might have added a little charge-do not remember.
I thought I might find a strainer so I started looking to see where the cooling water came from. Lines disappear through a bulkhead, as usual.
I drained a little water out-fresh water.
Find the Chief Engineer. He has no idea where the water comes from.
I finally pin it down to one tank. The crews drinking water! I do not believe this-I must be wrong.
The next morning I run into a Marine Surveyor who used to run the boat. When I asked him about it he said he did not have any idea where the water came from, however he did notice that when they had ran the Freezer in the past the drinking water became quite warm after a few days.
Could ruin someones day if the Condenser stared to leak.

expat
28-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Could ruin someones day if the Condenser stared to leak.

Not only that but what about legionaires disease:eek:

The MG Pony
29-05-2007, 06:46 PM
They should just recycle the water through a deck heating system, should come back nice n chilly and the deck wont ice up! Got to love somes logic, cheap out on the screener and just use the drinking water to save money <_<