PDA

View Full Version : Carel controller "Need help"

4Qman
26-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I have built a custom Phase unit using a nice compressor and its running great. HOWEVER!

I cant get the CAREL controller to work. When i connect it to the 12v transformer it powers up correct but displays a error.

rE and E0 and E1 appear and it keeps displaying each of those errors. I downloaded the manual from the CAREL website and i am still stuck.

I have 1x prob connected in the correct manner. I can go into the controller pannel and changed all settings to 0 "To turn the erros Off" but still same problem.

Its a 12v model. 33 model..
All i want is 1x prob to work to read the temps of the Evap, surely not to much to ask.

anyone know whats wrong or more important what im not doing.?:confused:

old gas bottle
26-05-2007, 04:51 PM
not sure about carel but wether you want one probe or three,if you dont connect all the probes up it should have chances are it will show a fault up showing just that, best to fit them then alter the parameters to make them redundant. sure one of the guys will know more about theese.

4Qman
26-05-2007, 05:19 PM
not sure about carel but wether you want one probe or three,if you dont connect all the probes up it should have chances are it will show a fault up showing just that, best to fit them then alter the parameters to make them redundant. sure one of the guys will know more about theese.

thanks mate.

Yeah i have changed the settings to 0 as i belive this disables the option. But it still bleeps on start and wont read the temp from the 1x prob :mad:

ANYONE

NoNickName
26-05-2007, 05:40 PM
E0 and E1 are alarms respectively missing or faulty ambient temperature probe and missing or faulty defrost temperature probe.
rE is concerning "virtual temperature regulation probe missing of faulty"

For correcting alarm E0, just connect and configure parameter /P.
For disabling probe 2 (alarm E1), set parameter /A2 to 0.
For correcting rE, set /4 to 1.

LRAC
26-05-2007, 07:57 PM
E0 and E1 are alarms respectively missing or faulty ambient temperature probe and missing or faulty defrost temperature probe.

Better still get a controller other than coral their nightmares in the making.

Regards
Lrac

Dan
27-05-2007, 01:54 AM
I don't like the batch of discrete controllers, be they Dixell, Carel, Johnson etc. They are never put in a safe and dry place by the manufacturers, they have arcane alphabets that appear to be calculators with a diode out, or the caps lock on, they are passworded, but not really, and they are being applied as defrost clocks and thermostats in applications where mechanical replacements are actually cheaper than the electronic devices replacements. They are interval devices rather than timed devices... you need tiny fingers and the use of both hands to scroll through the options....

And yes, they confuse the hell out of me. My bad.:)

Peter_1
27-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Better still get a controller other than coral their nightmares in the making.

Regards
Lrac

I agree, Coral always made lousy controllers.

Peter_1
27-05-2007, 09:12 AM
They are interval devices rather than timed devices... you need tiny fingers and the use of both hands to scroll through the options....

Dan, every brand has now controllers with a build-in RTC.
Regarding the price, the controllers now costs only the price of an old timer.
I am not that fancy in all the electonics these days but I can't without these electronic controllers

4Qman
27-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Mate i am lost a little. I take it these options are in the setup menu. ?

Can you talk me through exactly what i need to do. ie enter setup etc etc.

Its just i am finding the controller to be a pain in the arse. So many options :cool:

Thanks to all again,. This forum has some great characters :D

NoNickName
27-05-2007, 10:55 AM
No, I'm not carrying you through it. I suppose you RFA (read the f....antastic manual) and understand it. I only give you some hints or tips on where to look for.

Concerning the discussion on the parametric controllers, some of the comments above betray the age of the poster. I can't live without the all-in microprocessors of Dixell or Carel. Their cost is really low, nowadays, and have a lot of useful functions, for the people who wants to make use of it.

4Qman
27-05-2007, 01:39 PM
No, I'm not carrying you through it. I suppose you RFA (read the f....antastic manual) and understand it. I only give you some hints or tips on where to look for.

yeah ok,.

Anyway, i have spent past few hours playing and reading the manual as he said ^.

I can get what i needed turned off and what i need to use, ie. just 1s prob. However it just doesn't seem to be reading temps. :mad:
I am trying to read down below -50oC, the probs i am using work when i set the option on the controller to 1. When i hold the prob in my hand its not giving any realistic temps, then when i put it on the Evap for a few seconds its bleeps and gives a prob error but not moving temps at all?.

I know this is a hard to explain situation and i can understand it being hard to frustrating. But getting told to read the maul when just spent 2hrs on the bloody thing isnt exactly helpful when i am struggling to grasp what the bloody thing is on about.

All i want is it to read from 1x prob on a evap going down to around -50oC thats it. no other functions needed at all.

Thanks all again.
dave

NoNickName
27-05-2007, 03:36 PM
You can't read temperatures below -50°C with that controller. What probe are you using? A standard NTC? You have to use a probe with 10kohm resistance at 25°C. Can you measure the resistance of the probe with a ohmmeter and report it here?

Peter_1
28-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Try to locate the parameters NoNickName gave you. They're the right ones and even I, a non English nor Italian speaking tech understands the Carel manual.

The more you find it yourself, the more you will learn.
Only animals or non-interested techs perform tasks which we have shown them before.

If you don't have the additional needed probes, just connect a fix resistor on the therminals. Cost almost nothing.

I am trying to read down below -50oC, the probs i am using work when i set the option on the controller to 1.

Seems it isn't working at all.
What parameter are you setting to 1? /P?
If so, then this is wrong, /P=1 is -40°C to 150°C.
Is tI=2,/5=0, /4=0, /A2=0 and /A3=0 and/A4=0.

Again, set the parameters to those NoNickName gave you and you will see that you can't go lower with an NTC.
Anyhow, as NoNickName said, these controllers can't be used for temperatures lower then -50°C.

4Qman
28-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Try to locate the parameters NoNickName gave you. They're the right ones and even I, a non English nor Italian speaking tech understands the Carel manual.

The more you find it yourself, the more you will learn.
Only animals or non-interested techs perform tasks which we have shown them before.

If you don't have the additional needed probes, just connect a fix resistor on the therminals. Cost almost nothing.

Seems it isn't working at all.
What parameter are you setting to 1? /P?
If so, then this is wrong, /P=1 is -40°C to 150°C.
Is tI=2,/5=0, /4=0, /A2=0 and /A3=0 and/A4=0.

Again, set the parameters to those NoNickName gave you and you will see that you can't go lower with an NTC.
Anyhow, as NoNickName said, these controllers can't be used for temperatures lower then -50°C.

Ok dude i have read the maual and i can fly through the controller now know most of what does what.

I will try your settings, i believe its due to reading below -50. Thats got to be the problem.

Yeah /p is 2. If i set to 1 it wont work at all.

Many thanks to you both for the help, i have learned going at the manual as you have said dude. There is a problem as it am doing all correct.

ok will let u know how it goes.
Dave

4Qman
28-05-2007, 12:32 PM
You can't read temperatures below -50°C with that controller. What probe are you using? A standard NTC? You have to use a probe with 10kohm resistance at 25°C. Can you measure the resistance of the probe with a ohmmeter and report it here?

Hi dude, i measured the resistance

Ambient temp was "12.4oC"
Resistance was 0.83

Is the controller limited to -50oC or can i get a prob that will allow to read -60oC. ie K Type Prob ?

Thanks again mate, id get you a beer if i could. ;)

Peter_1
28-05-2007, 12:44 PM
It's the combination controller/probe.
An NTC is not the same as a K-thermocouple, both have completely different working principle.

NoNickName
28-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi dude, i measured the resistance

Ambient temp was "12.4oC"
Resistance was 0.83

Ahah... that's why. You need an NTC. NTC means negative temperature coefficient and it's a resistor. The resistance must be around 10kohm at 25°C and decreases as temperature increases.

Peter_1
28-05-2007, 03:10 PM
NoNickname, if he switches /P to 2, then he can use also a PTC I think:confused:

NoNickName
28-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure a K thermocouple has the same curve than a Carel PTC. Anyway a Carel PTC must be 975 Ohm at 25°C, which is not what he has got (0.83 ohm? kohm?).

4Qman
28-05-2007, 04:38 PM
So a better prob is in order then. :rolleyes: "NTC"

Also if i do get a better prob will it show error when reading below -50oC or just display -50oC until it gets warmer than this.

/P to 2 is the option i have it set too, if i change to say /1 it wont work and display error straight away. Although /2 isn't exactly adjusting with i put the prob on cold or hot material. :confused:

I am just glad i am having this problem at home at not out on a job or something. No wonder you all said they are a pain in the arse.

Oh and i am most certainly learning fellas, your not wasting your time with this help.

chillin out
28-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't think the controller will read below -50, it will show an error as it thinks the probe has failed.

I think you need a new controller and probes to suit.

Chillin:) :)

coolhibby1875
28-05-2007, 09:16 PM
hi ive just been reading through some off the replies to your problem i think the best option is to replace your carrell controller with a cdc 12 it will slot strait in its very easy to proggrame and does not have tons off useles parameters to scramble your head you can buy cdc 12,s on ebay brand new in a box with probes and instructions for as little as £15

Peter_1
28-05-2007, 09:23 PM
A thermocouple is generating a small almots linear voltage and this small voltage is used to measure or translate to a temperature.

A PTC and a NTC have a changing resistance related to the temperature and not a voltage. Here is the changing resistance used for the temperature reading.

You can't juts simply switch between these probes.

They're not a pain in the arse at all as long as you use them for the purpose they made for and within the limits given by the manufacturer

Dan
29-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Dan, every brand has now controllers with a build-in RTC.

Peter, what is an RTC? I do not wish to sound old, but I don't think it a bad thing to expect from a new electronic device to perhaps know the time of day. Hmmm... Refrigeration Temperature Control?

Peter_1
29-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Dan ,exactly what you want: a Real Time Clock.

4Qman
30-05-2007, 05:35 AM
hi ive just been reading through some off the replies to your problem i think the best option is to replace your carrell controller with a cdc 12 it will slot strait in its very easy to proggrame and does not have tons off useles parameters to scramble your head you can buy cdc 12,s on ebay brand new in a box with probes and instructions for as little as £15

Thanks dude. I will keep a eye out.

Thanks to all for helping and input into this thread. :)

manojdiwan
30-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I have built a custom Phase unit using a nice compressor and its running great. HOWEVER!

I cant get the CAREL controller to work. When i connect it to the 12v transformer it powers up correct but displays a error.

rE and E0 and E1 appear and it keeps displaying each of those errors. I downloaded the manual from the CAREL website and i am still stuck.

I have 1x prob connected in the correct manner. I can go into the controller pannel and changed all settings to 0 "To turn the erros Off" but still same problem.

Its a 12v model. 33 model..
All i want is 1x prob to work to read the temps of the Evap, surely not to much to ask.

anyone know whats wrong or more important what im not doing.?:confused:

For E1 error check probe for defrost.For rE and Eo error check connection between motherboard and power board.

maddfridge
02-06-2007, 07:34 PM
measure the resistance of your probe

allow 5% and put in two reistors like a fire alrm zone when not in use !

should work and will cost pennies

Peter_1
02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Maddfridge, see post 13 of this thread

mr cool
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
rip it out and fit a (sm)elliwell ewpc 974 . they are a lot easyer and user friendly and also run on 12v

Peter_1
09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Then I should go for the Dixell range

makis82
07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
send the me the model and what you want to do with carel.
carel can do too many things.

majo
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Then I should go for the Dixell range

If I had to choose between Carel, Dixell, Eliwell... I would definitely go for Carel. Fine piece of equipment they make. Standards have more options than a standard Eliwell/Dixell and looks much more profi :o

Akram Hamza
20-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Dear,
The problems with tempreature sensers (disconected or defactive) please check.
Thanks.

HMP
22-08-2008, 05:50 PM
1) see if the secundary of the transformer isn't connect to the earth

2) see if the probe or anything in the digital inputs are some how connected to earth