PDA

View Full Version : Nvq2

marc5180
24-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Iv been thinking of doing my NVQ level 2 in september when the course starts enrolling but now im not so sure. Iv spoken to lads at work that have done it and they seem to think that level 2 is a waste of time and that maybe i should think about doing level 3 instead. Iv had 5 years experience and have got CITB level 1 along with gas handling, essential electrics. What do you guys think?

frank
24-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Part of the requisition for entrance to NVQ3 is that you have NVQ2.

You cannot just bypass a level because you think you are qualified to that stage - you have to prove it.

taz24
24-05-2007, 09:06 PM
. What do you guys think?

If you have a compareable levelII ( somthing in engineering ) then you may be able to be APL into a level III.

If you have a HNC they may let as well.

You will not be automaticaly barred but you will have to prove prior learning.

Cheers taz.

Latte
24-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone do distance learning courses such as NVQ's

Dont know about everyone else but no way would i get time to be able to go to a college to do it. That and the fact there probably isnt one anywhere near newmarket

Regards

Raymond

Contactor
24-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Without doubt go and get on the course - there will be lots of time to work on stuff you don't know. You will not be wasting your time even if (like me) you've been in the trade for years and think you know the basics. You will have qualified people to answer your questions. You will find the course and your work go very well together. You will meet lots of other people in the trade to learn from. You will earn a fortune 70k+ easily if you go self employed. We had some very good teachers and a good group which made all the difference, where are you thinking of doing it? Only criticism was that in the second year we spent a lot of time near the end putting the portfolio together and not so much practical work - it was all still relevant though.

marc5180
24-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I would be doing it in manchester....maybe im jumping the gun a little bit then...i just dont fancy going through all the basics of the course which im led to beleive is most of the first year.

taz24
24-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone do distance learning courses such as NVQ's

Raymond

There are distance learning courses available but you will still need to compile a portfolio of work place evidence.
NVQ is done in two parts.
3 exams prove knowledge and then a portfolio is built up to prove work place experience.

Cheers taz.

marc5180
17-07-2007, 05:45 PM
is there any way that i could compact the course into a 1 year programme that is relevant instead of a 2year course. One of the apprentices at our firm said that he had to write essays saying how to connect guages properly and basic stuff like that which im not going to learn from

marc5180
30-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Started my NVQ2 back in August down in Birmingham with an examiner from City and Guilds. Just completed my first tech certificate and im working towards my second in the next couple of weeks. Instead of the course being a 2year it will be compacted down to a year. Really enjoying it and wish id started it earlier:)

Pooh
30-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Marc
you can do the whole thing in 3 months if you want, that is the minimum time from registering with City & Guilds to claiming it. The only complication with the Refrigeration NVQ's is that you have to pass the relevent Technical Certificate before you can do the NVQ part, this can be done by distance learning and the exam taken at a local college to were you live. Once the exams have been taken you can complete the NVQ part using the experienced worker scheme which is a fast track NVQ compared to the one taken by apprentices at college. All that the candidate has to do is supply evidence and demonstrate his competence to the assessor and thats it. Doing it this way means you do not have to go to college and it can be done in your own time so not interfering with your working day.

One further thing is that under the governments Train to Gain scheme it is possible to get funding for it if you and your company meet the criteria, i.e. less than 50 employees and over 19 years of age preferably 25 etc.etc. You may not get it all payed for but it should save you at least half compared to the normal cost, I would think you should get the lot for less than a grand with the funding maybe less.

Ian

marc5180
08-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi Ian,
does the same apply for level 3? Can that be taken at an accelerated pace also?
Wish i would have known about applying for funding for the course before id started on it. il look into it when i start level 3 next year.
Thanks