PDA

View Full Version : Working/moving abroard

marc5180
17-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Just come back from a holiday in Cyprus and iv decided that whilst im still young, i would like to work abroard, possibly doing installs as iv heard that pays quite well. I asked around whilst i was in Cyprus and i was told that the pay is terrible due to the fact that they dont have maintenance or carry out fault finding because the units are so cheap (around 200 pounds fitted) that when they do have a problem then its cheaper to just replace them. Id love to go out to Cyprus but dont feel that the money is there for me to be able to survive whilst over there. My point was if any of you guys ever worked abroard and how did you find it...what was the money like? and where are the best places to work. My idea would be to work hard in the summer to make good money then come back to the Uk for a few months.
Any comments welcomed

marc5180
17-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Your logic is inverted -Work hard in UK during Summer then go abroad in winter.You will earn more through a year and see more sun/less rain

As it says in the title though, move/work abroard... I dont want to keep working over here for very little appreciation. Id much prefer an environment with less traffic, less polloution, better weather, friendlier people etc etc

marc5180
17-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Plus im currently employed by an A/C firm and i dont think they would let me work for 6-8 months of the year and then let me take 4 months off to go abroard. That would probably work if i was self employed but im not and dont wish to be over here just yet.

momo
17-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Regretably A/C in Southern Europe seems to attract plenty of ((local?)) quick jobbers and junk...
Your comments about Cyprus coincide with the lower end of the Spanish market, which then creeps upwards in the power range when people think that larger installations should be just as cheap :mad: (especially as the price of copper rises :D ) - and can be paid for whenEVER.

Cyprus is small and I wonder:
Spain now has (EC) recycling law/regulations about collecting old equipment... like with Bic byros - there must be a huge cemetary of cheap A/Cs somewhere (without the copper:rolleyes:)
The UK seems a ripe market with heat pumps - just the traffic and rain, but the supermarket shelves are just lovely and tempting!

marc5180
18-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Hoped there would have been a few more comments on this one guys. thanks for your input though momo, much appreciated

The MG Pony
21-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Try Canada :)

LRAC
21-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Hoped there would have been a few more comments on this one guys. thanks for your input though momo, much appreciated

Hi marc5180

2 of my friends in the business are constantly abroad in different country's carrying out a/c /fridge work.

They work for world of tui (thomson holidays) looking after the hotels that tui contract from the owners during the holiday seasons. Their contracts are for 12 month stretches and with lodgings/food/discounts on air tickets and reduced tax they come back with loads of dosh.

They travel from resort to resort and country to country and the best thing is if their phones don't ring, they ain't got note to do?

Regards
Lrac

P.S ok they might once in a blue moon have too unblock a loo but the majority of their work is drinking and sleeping.

marc5180
21-05-2007, 05:27 PM
that sounds exactly what i would like to try... how do i sign up:D

LRAC
21-05-2007, 08:37 PM
that sounds exactly what i would like to try... how do i sign up:D

I think this is the site
http://www.thomson.co.uk/jobs/ski-lakes-active/maintenance-staff.html

Regards
Lrac

marc5180
21-05-2007, 09:10 PM