PDA

View Full Version : Too much money

SIGNSTU
16-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Iam trying to find a replacement oil filter other than OEM for a sabroe smc 106 recip. It is a screw on just like a car worth about $40.00 US they want $333.00 plus shipping. HELP

US Iceman
16-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Manufacturers do not supply parts or components to be cheap. Things such as oil filters or replacement parts are where they make their money. However, when they specify a replacement part it is based on what they expect to work and provide a long life.

Obviously, they purchase some parts from the original manufacturers, such as the oil filters. And usually part of their agreement with that manufacturer is to remove all of the original manufacturers visibly identifying marks or details. This helps to prevent someone from going directly to the filter manufacturer to cut out the compressor manufacturers profit.

If you elect to use an alternative oil filter that might happen to look like the original and seems to be the same size, you will not know if the filter media or it's filtering capability is the same as the original.

Substituting parts instead of using the original equipment manufacturers (OEM) recommended replacements places all of the burden on you to ensure the part is equal in performance.

nh3wizard
16-05-2007, 02:39 PM
I am trying to find a replacement oil filter other than OEM for a sabroe smc 106 recip. It is a screw on just like a car worth about $40.00 US they want $333.00 plus shipping. HELP

Have you checked with your parts dealer to see if there is an aftermarket replacement? I know on their screws there isnt an aftermarket replacement!!!
They arent cheap either. What I did do was have a set of dual filters installed and eliminated the Sabroe filter. On the Sabroes the filter is in the compressor housing.

SIGNSTU
16-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks Iceman, That Is So True. To People That Don't Know About These Things They Just Go By Looks. I Work For A City And The People That Sign The Po's, Look At What It Is And Complain.

US Iceman
16-05-2007, 03:04 PM
The People That Sign The Po's, Look At What It Is And Complain

That's part of the problem with this logic. The bean counters save a few bucks and get raises for doing so, while the equipment is not taken care of properly.

When the cheap parts fail, or in a worse case scenario a major component fails who gets all of the attention then?

Usually the operator for not taking care of the equipment.... A sad state of affairs.:(