PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant Handling Course

Takeshi
15-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey guys.
I went on the course today and passed - learnt some really useful information along the way.
Alot of the people there were doing the whole college course thingy - whereas I'm not. Do you think this is bad? I've been a trainee where I work for about 1 & 1/2 years now.
I did try to go to college at Bath - was told I could be taken on but when I got there I had to do an aptitude test. I took it and failed - the guy said that I wasn't no where near good enough for the basic course, let alone the 3 year course I wanted to do. I should go back and do more training. Basically he just said "Your not good enough - we don't want you". This really hacked me off as I woulda been starting off with a years experaince under my belt, far more than the little squirrels would be. Just because I wasn't very good and maths etc - yet there supposed to offer help for anyone. I got FA.
My parents wrote a letter of complaint with the way I was treated, but nothings happened. Apparently the guy handling the case left so thats that.
Do you think I still have potentional though with my experiance? I really want to do tis job as my career - it all really interests me. I plan to go on the course that the company that runs the gas handling course I went on. Its called Business Edge.
Your opinions guys?

Nick

lana
15-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Nick,

You are too young to be disappointed:rolleyes: .

If this college doesn't accept, try another one. The important thing is what you want to do, not what they say you have to do;) .

Of course getting a degree is good but remember its not that piece of paper which has value, its what in your mind and what you can do with it.

If you don't what to do a degree then do a training in a job you like and make progress there.

Its too much grandfather talk isn't it:p .

Anyway do what you are good at.

Good luck.
Cheers

Takeshi
15-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey.
Thanks - I was just disspointed cos my parents were really rooting for me - when I got home and told them they were devastated as well as angry.

Thats what my boss said - hands on experiance is just as, if not more important than a peice of paper. So far I've been doing really well - struggle with things at times but obviously you learn something everyday with this job.

Is it actually mandatory to have a peice of paper saying you can do it?

Nick

Brian_UK
15-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Is it actually mandatory to have a peice of paper saying you can do it?For some gases yes, for the newer ones - it's getting there.

Don't lose heart, as long as your boss is giving you the experience then things will improve.

(Takeshi, thanks)

lana
16-05-2007, 04:00 AM
Hi Nick,

I was just disspointed cos my parents were really rooting for me - when I got home and told them they were devastated as well as angry.

That's what the parents are for. When you become one then you will feel the same way.

Thats what my boss said - hands on experience is just as, if not more important than a piece of paper.

Experience is very important in every job but you will get that quickly and correctly, if you know the basic knowledge.
Experience and knowledge work together.

Is it actually mandatory to have a piece of paper saying you can do it?

As Brian mentioned yes. You have to be a registered refrigerant handler to do the job. It is easy really nothing to it.

Good Luck
Cheers

airconadam
22-05-2007, 05:30 PM
if iwas you just keep going for it as lana said you will get ther in the end and you prove a point to people thats what i found i had to do really reading up on systems etc so when they ask you questions i could just say this and that then people was like hes not that bad after all but its hard when starting off iam now out on my own and iam always ringing other engineers and people up for help and information but i love it its all great thanks alot adam

Brian_UK
22-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Adam, have you got any full stops on your keyboard mate?:confused: :D ;)

airconadam
22-05-2007, 10:34 PM
:o haha.bryan.ithink i found it now. iam the same with my sheets ooopppsss