PDA

View Full Version : Air Con for Conservatories

majikman
15-05-2007, 05:12 PM
hi there.

A friend is wanting a/c for his conservatory and asked me what size unit he would need.

Is there anywhere online I could calculate this ?

The conservatory is 4m x 4m and has sun on it all day in the summer.

thanks

majikman

coolments
15-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Dito: I get 6.44 Kw with an ambient of 28c and room temp of 21c providing the roof has blinds istalled.

Although I find that units of this duty tend to be a bit on the large and ugly side, I tend to normally advise a 5kw inverter units as they are normally on manufacturers smaller chasis, neater looking and lower price bracket, which would provide ample heating in winter and cooling for 95% of the UK summer, even on the hottest day it would cool the conservatory to an aceptable temperature to sit in.

Thats my thoughts any way

majikman
15-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys.

I am looking at tadvising him on the daikin flxs-ba indoor unit as they are pretty much low profile and look alright.

Anybody used these before and how do they rate ??

airconadam
15-05-2007, 08:10 PM
hi fellas just wondering if any one could tell me how you worked that equation out for the size of the conservatory eg 4m x 4m thanks alot adam

marc5180
15-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Iv got a Daikin FTXS50 5KW inverter installed in my conservatory 3.5m x3.5m. Works a treat.

marc5180
15-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Length x width x height x 90 watts per cubic metres = required duty or length x width x 300 watts per square metre = required duty, I always work them out both ways and go for the bigger duty, always better to be safe than sorry.

airconadam
15-05-2007, 11:19 PM
thanks alot marc 5180 a great help

Birds
15-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys.

I am looking at tadvising him on the daikin flxs-ba indoor unit as they are pretty much low profile and look alright.

Anybody used these before and how do they rate ??

We use the flexi all the time for conservatories. Great kit only 450mm high will fit on most dwarf walls. Just a point to watch on the 50 model, minimum 1,5m length pipework.

Birds

Andy W
16-05-2007, 04:30 PM
How marc5180 describes is exactly how I do it, if you use Mistral or ac calc you will need a massive system, I would go for a system no smaller than 5 kw, such as a Fujitsu 5.2 or else it will take some heating up in the winter.

chiller-man
16-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Installed & commissioned today, A Daikin FTXS60/RXS60E in a 4x4m conservatory, looks great, sounds great (no noise !), customer thrilled to bits, Cheque collected! I wish they where all like that!

chiller-man
16-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Installed and commissioned today, Daikin FTXS60/RXS60E Wall mounted Inverter in a 4mx4m conservatory, Looks good, sounds good(very quiet)
Customer thrilled to bits and paid up!

LRAC
17-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Length x width x height x 90 watts per cubic metres = required duty or length x width x 300 watts per square metre = required duty, I always work them out both ways and go for the bigger duty, always better to be safe than sorry.

Hi marc5180

can you explain the above calcs

1. example 1, 3mtr x 3mtr x 3mtr = 27 cubic metres
27 x 0.090 watts = 2.43Kw

2. example 2, 3mtr x 3mtr = 9 square meters
9 x 0.300 watts = 2.7 Kw

If you use the above calc i cannot see a conservatory maintaining 20 C in the height of summer, or am i wrong?

Regards
Lrac

coolments
17-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi all

I dont generally dont do rule of thumb when sizing, but when i do i never go below 125w per square meter in an office / domestic install and between 250w and 400w per square meter for conservatories depending on which way they face.

If in doubt always ask some one who knows, most suppliers will size for you on the back of maybe getting an order.

momo
17-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Quick questions on the Ecology/Economy front:
0. By conservatory I assume you are refering to wood and glass extensions to houses with some plants and to spend leisure time in ?
1. Do you advise customers to use outside shades to reduce radiant heat?
2. Ditto with heat reflective glass or adhesive heat mirror (like for car windows)
3. Ditto try evaporative cooler (if they leave the doors open)
4. Try using a lower powered unit flat out but to provide localized cooling?

Just a few thoughts that arose with glass office I did recently (modified from fast roasting to slow grilling of customers and staff :D).

majikman
24-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Well he is going for the Daikin.

Where is the best place to get Daikin from ? Do they sell direct ?

Sledge
25-05-2007, 09:36 PM
0. By conservatory I assume you are refering to wood and glass extensions to houses with some plants and to spend leisure time in ?
2. Ditto with heat reflective glass or adhesive heat mirror (like for car windows)

Just a few thoughts that arose with glass office I did recently (modified from fast roasting to slow grilling of customers and staff :D).

Good questions Momo, I was going to ask all of this.

We dont call it a conservatory in Canada, we call it a solarium.

Makeit go Right
26-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Where is the best place to get Daikin from ? Do they sell direct ?

Try Daikin Uk Ltd (their advert is to the right on this webpage), and you could also try Space A/C Ltd.

Karl Hofmann
27-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Yes, you are right, they are those greenhouses that people insist on sticking on to their homes, fortunately the building regulations regard them as temporary buildings and so there must be an outside grade door separating the conservatory from the rest of the house as they are too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I try to reccommend using blinds to reduce the heat load but if the customer doesn't want them ,then there is no way that you can make them, the glass is what is fitted to the conservatory and few would entertain the reflective type films as this would be expensive though some do now use the heat reflective roof panels. There is no way that they would pay for a system big enough to do the job to my satisfaction but my rule of thumb is to use a unit approximately 50% of the required duty (calculated on Click) and this would suffice for all but the hottest of days and provide more than enough heating. The customer is advised that the unit will fall short on very hot days but will still provide a cooling breeze, the customer then nods politely and buys a 12000Btu piece of junk from B&Q :cool:

momo
28-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Karl Hofmann: "...the customer then nods politely and buys a 12000Btu piece of junk from B&Q :cool:"

Well the customer probably bought the rest of the unmentionable junk from similar d.i.y. warehouse importers anyway :p.

The irony is: it seems to add 10,000+Uk pounds value to the house, the next buyer drools over:D it, and being cheap pine wood has to replace it in 10 years :eek: sooooooo...